- Bill Belichick responds to Raiders owner Al Davis's accusations that the Patriots tampered with Randy Moss, before the 2007 trade that brought him to New England.
Shalise Manza Young reports that according to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, "No tampering charges have ever been filed with our office with respect to Randy Moss."
- Young updates us on the status of rookie linebacker Shawn Crable who has yet to see any playing time.
- Mike Reiss reports from the Patriots locker room, his Nuggets from Gillette.
- Reiss glues us in on the bonding status of Randy Moss and Matt Cassel.
- Projo.com provides the full transcripts of Bill Belichick's Wednesday press conference, and Randy Moss' Wednesday press conference.
- Rich Thompson says Laurence Maroney and ball control are key for the Patriots.
- From the Patriots team website: "Pro Bowl nose tackle Vince Wilfork has two years remaining on his rookie contract but...he would like to emulate Troy Brown, who retired last week after 15 years – all spent in a Patriots uniform.
- Patriots Daily has a nice piece on Troy Brown: 2001 Was Turning Point For Brown, Patriots.
- The New England Patriots Alumni Club (NEPAC) will host its second-annual "Game With the Greats" event in Gillette Stadium's Fidelity Investments East Clubhouse on Sunday, October 5 when the Patriots travel to San Francisco.
FOCUS ON THE 49ERS
- Mike Reiss compiled for us some links from the San Francisco side.
- Chris Gasper highlights three key areas in Sunday's Patriots-49ers game.
- Shalise Manza Young talks about the 49ers many looks on defense.
- Greg Beachum reports the Niners are willing to trade sacks for scores, and QB J.T. O'Sullivan doesn't mind a bit.
- Belichick discusses talented running back Frank Gore.
- Matt Brown, STATS editor, presents his Pats-Niners preview.
The 49ers released their participation report.
What If Sports ranks them (ouch!) 22nd (+3)
Fox Sports on MSN ranks them 15th (-2): "This weekend Doctor Evil will emerge from the Patriots' bye week, and after getting embarrassed by Miami in Week 3 he has to have something tricky up his sleeve, right?" Dr. Evil???? Sooooo clever.
- ESPN ranks them 13th (-2): "If they can't beat the 49ers on Sunday, prepare for panic to set in." (Note the disparity in the voting among the 12 ESPN writers.)
ProFootball Weekly ranks them 13th (-1): "Have to think Kevin O’Connell will play at some point." How 'bout the end of the 4th quarter?
- NFL.com keeps them ranked below 12th in the "middle of the pack."
- The Sporting News ranks them 10th: "Something tells me the Patriots figured something out during the bye."
- Dr. Z at SI ranks them 7th (-1): "I get a tremendous kick out of the transcripts of Bill Belichick's daily press conferences. Here's an excerpt from Tuesday's, for instance:
Q: How would you assess your turnover differential this week?
A: Always like to get more and give up less."