- Karen Guregian has a great piece on Head Coach Bill Belichick and his passion for breaking down the game.
- Guregian notes the Patriots "have lost by 14 points or more just 11 times in the regular season since Belichick became the coach in 2000," and takes a look at how they've bounced back after an embarrassment.
- We need to talk. Chris Gasper reports on Matt Cassel and Randy Moss having a sit-down and spending some quality time together. How sweet.
- Gasper also gives us an in-depth look at all that's involved in the Patriots 10-day West Coast road trip. Here is his quick video on the subject.
- Rodney Harrison on team bonding during the trip: "I don’t know if we’re going to get in a circle and sing ‘Kumbaya’ or anything like that." He does know that they'll have to keep an eye on Niners TE Vernon Davis.
- Shalise Manza Young compares Jerod Mayo with San Francisco's Patrick Willis.
- Jim Lazar reports on the Patriots' extended stay out in Sunny San Jose.
- Mike Petraglia offers his views from the Patriots' locker room on Thursday.
- Chad Finn gives us a Q & A session with Matt Cassel.
- Robert Lee says Cassel believes that it won't be long before he and Moss have a big game together.
- Mike Reiss gives us Thursday's Participation report, with Wes Welker (groin) added to the limited participation section. Yikes!
- Tom Wilcox says the Patriots Defensive unit hasn't exactly looked like the Fearsome Foursome.
- Wilcox also waxes on about Matt Cassel. "This week, what [Cassel] needs to do is show that he has put the loss to the Dolphins behind him and is, as many of the players and coaches have reiterated, truly the best man for the job."
- Mike Petraglia's blog includes a few new Troy Brown tidbits, and recalls some old familiar favorites.
FOCUS ON THE 49ERS
- Mike Reiss puts the 49ers in focus, noting 4 areas that stand out and giving his expert pre-game analysis.
- Mike McDermott's Football Today says the 49ers aren't great but they are legitimate again, among other NFL items of note.
- Tom Wilcox tells us Three things about the Niners - O'Sullivan, Gore, & the Defense.
- Projo's short and sweet week 5 Patriots vs. 49ers preview.
- Tony Moss gives his NFL preview and analysis of Sunday's matchup.
- Robert Lee says the Patriots rushing defense won't get any easier Sunday, as the 49ers possess one of the NFL’s most dangerous rushers in Frank Gore.
- Patriots coach Bill Belichick considers San Francisco’s Vernon Davis to be one of the best tight ends in the NFL
- Glen Farley reports that Mike Martz and the 49ers are a bomb threat.
- Brian MacPherson reminds the Patriots that the 49ers thrive on third and long.
- Take the Patriots-49ers quiz and see how much you know.
SHOTS FROM AFAR
- John Crumpacker (San Francisco Chronicle) says O'Sullivan can wing it and has the highest completion percentage in the league, throwing passes longer than 20 yards.
- Frank Gore tells the SFChronicle that he's confident in his team's own genius, Mike Martz, and is ready for a match of wits between Martz and Belichick.