Parcells, in his second season as executive vice president of football operations in Miami, has orchestrated a significant overhaul of the secondary. The Dolphins signed free agent safety Gibril Wilson to a lucrative contract, added cornerback Eric Green in free agency, and drafted cornerbacks Vontae Davis (first round) and Sean Smith (second round) - four moves aimed at improving a pass defense that ranked 25th in yards surrendered per game last season (227.8).
Think Parcells had the Patriots and their high-flying passing attack in mind?
"I have not been a head coach in the National Football League, not for one game," said Ryan "But I’ve been myself my whole life and that’s the way it’s gotta be. I know I’m not going to be successful if I have to pipe down. That’s not who I am. I’m just going to tell it the way I believe it to be, and I certainly didn’t mean to be disrespectful, especially to [Bill] Belichick. I have a lot of respect for him. I have a lot of respect for his coaches and his football team, but my point is, we’re not afraid of any of these guys. We’re not intimidated by them and our players shouldn’t be."
- Mike Reiss catches up with Jonathan Wilhite, saying it appears Wilhite is in a good position to compete for nickel cornerback duties.
- Mike Reiss offers his projected roster locks as he goes through the comments section of his blog and answers some questions.
- Mark Farinella explains how the Patriots will erect screens to keep Patriot Place hotel guests from viewing team practices.
- Jeff Howe says the Patriots' decade-long success gives significance to the team's 50th anniversary.
- Christopher Price notes the United Football League held its first draft this past week, and three former Patriots were selected - TE Jermaine Wiggins, P Danny Baugher and WR Chas Gessner.
- Mark Farinella reports the Hall at Patriots Place finally got their South Dakotan to sign the guestbook, representing the last of the 50 states to have visited.
- Mike Reiss finds there have been 173 father-son pairs and threesomes that have played in the NFL--38 of which are current.
Derrik Zetlin discusses NFL players who demand to be traded.
- Sean Leahy (USA Today) How the New England Patriots morphed from a Cape house into an NFL Titan. First in a series exploring the history of all 10 AFL franchises.
- Jamie Dukes (NFL.com) Five sexiest stories of 2009. The return of Tom Terrific.
- Paul Bessire (Whatif Sports) 2009 NFL Playoff Predictions: Philadelphia over New England. So stupid.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) AFC East Mailbag. Spygate was overblown, Jets O-Line better than the Pats' O-Line.
- Cleveland Plain Dealer Browns offensive coordinator Brian Daboll Press Conference. Talks about where he gets his offensive principles from, the challenges of being a first-time offensive coordinator, and what he can take from being around Tom Brady and applying it to his QBs.
- Steve King (Scout.com) Bernie Kosar pushed for Bill Belichick to return to Cleveland as head coach of the new franchise.
- Don Banks (SI) What's the problem with Wide Receivers? The NFL diva position.
- How free time is spent can make or break NFL players. (SI)
- Peter King (SI) MMQB - Last column until July 27th, although there will be guest writers, and no mention of the Patriots.