DB Leigh Bodden in coverage during a drill at Gillette Stadium on 06/09/09.
Bodden, who was undrafted out of Duquesne in 2003, spent his first five seasons in Cleveland, and he really started to thrive once Romeo Crennel took over as head coach in 2005. Bodden earned a starting job midway through that season and flourished under Crennel’s zone defense, a similar system Bill Belichick employs in New England.
Once Bodden visited New England and met with Belichick, he canceled the rest of his meetings around the league and immediately signed a contract.
"I only visited here. I planned other visits, but I didn’t really feel like it was worth it," Bodden said. "You’ve got to love [Belichick]. When I first met with him, when I first came here on a visit, we just sat down and talked, and he’s just a down-to-earth guy. We talked football, background. He wants to win, and that’s what I want to do. That’s all that we’re here for."
Jason La Confora (NFL.com) The battle of the best division comes down to the East. Check out the accompanying AFC East preview and analysis too (3.06 min. video).
In many ways, this should be the cream of the crop, and I think it will be. To me, New England is the team to beat in the AFC East with a healthy Tom Brady. Miami might slip up some, but the New York Jets were pretty darn good for 12 weeks last season and could receive a boost from new coach Rex Ryan, while the Trent Edwards-to-T.O. express might help take Buffalo from a seven-win outfit to a team that stays in the hunt.
If I had to pick my Beast of the East, preseason version, I’m going to take the AFC East.
- Ask PFW: Last-minute additions? Part I and Part II. Still plenty of questions to answer in this week's mailbag.
- Legendary Pro Football and Patriots Hall of Famer Andre Tippett will be the next speaker in The Hall at Patriot Place Speaker Series. July 24th at 6:30pm.
- Robert Kraft joins team to bring FIFA World Cup to U.S.
- Mark Farinella warns we shouldn't close the door on Junior Seau's return.
- Chris Gasper talks about the length of rookie contracts, saying six year deals are only allowed for top 16 picks.
- Michael Hurley Top 10 most memorable returns in Boston sports history.
- Kirk Minihane offers this debate: Which Boston athlete can stake claim to the best individual season?
- NFL deserves credit for helping players plus Ten things I think. (SI) MMQB Tuesday Edition:
- NFL Network Top Ten Patriots of All Time. (2.28 min. video)
- Jason Cole (Yahoo! Sports) Teams slow to sign '05 draft picks. Patriots' guard Logan Mankins is one of them.
- Andrew Brandt (Nat'l Football Post) A look at rookie contracts - Part 1: The signing bonus.
- Tom Curran (NBC Sports) McNair never asked to be superhuman: Slain ex-star among many athletes expected to be superior on, off field.
- Clark Judge (CBS Sports) Jauron, Philips among coaches on hot seat.
- Tom Monkovic (NY Times) Ultimate guide to winning in the NFL.