Jackie MacMullen writes a terrific piece on Deion Branch.
Their most fruitful work was accomplished during the offseasons, on days no one was populating the stands at Gillette. The quarterback and the receiver would report to work early on those summer mornings. One week, they would perfect the slant, running it over and over, with Brady barking, "Let's run it against this coverage'' and the receiver instructing him, "Throw it a little sooner this time.'' The next week they'd fine tune the post route, imploring their defensive teammates to stick around for one more hour, so they could try it two or three or 20 more times, until it was second nature.
"That's where the trust comes in,'' Branch said. "Where Tom could say, 'I know this guy is going to be there on the curl route against man coverage' and throw the ball with confidence.
"I tell these young [Patriots] receivers all the time: All those summer days at Gillette, that's where we won games.''
Bill Belichick responds to Rex Ryan's comments that as much as he respects you, he "came to New York to kick your ass."
Sure, that's understandable. There's no love lost out there between those two teams. We both want to win. That's what we're here for, Jets and the Patriots. I mean, both teams are walking out onto the field to come out victorious. Is that a big news story? That's something we didn't know? [That] he Jets want to win the game? [That] the Patriots want to win?
I don't really worry about everybody else. I'm trying to get this team ready to play. I'm not surprised that they expect to win and that they're confident they're going to win. I mean, so are we. It might be a headline story for you guys, I don't know: both teams expect to win.
- Game Preview: New England Patriots vs. New York Jets. Broadcast info, series history, notes for the night, team connections and more.
- Erik Scalavino tells us what happened at Tuesday's practice.
- Patriots QB Tom Brady has been named a finalist for the FedEx Air NFL Player of the Week honors. Cast your vote for him here.
- Patriots CB Devin McCourty has been named a finalist for the Pepsi Rookie of the Week for NFL Week 12. Cast your vote for him here.
- Ask PFW: Believe the hype!
- Tuesday Press Conference: Bill Belichick (15 min. video) plus Transcript.
- Patriots Today - A look at Tuesday's practice. (1.22 min. video)
- Patriots Today - Stage set for Monday night. (3.05 min. video)
- Patriots Today - Belichick on WEEI. (2.49 min. video)
- Locker Room Uncut - Pats gear up for Jets. (3.18 min. video)
- Mike Reiss reports Tom Brady was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week.
- Mike Reiss sees the Pats-Jets rivalry hitting a whole new level this week.
- Jeff Howe writes everything the Patriots have done up until this point has prepared them for Monday night's showdown with the Jets.
- Chris Gasper focuses on the Pats-Jets rivalry, saying the past is always at play but it's a current events test on Monday night.
- Jerry Thornton agrees Patriots-Jets is huge, but it won't qualify as a true rivalry until the Jets actually win something important.
- Mike Reiss reports Tedy Bruschi appreciates being honored by the Patriots before Monday's game. He hopes it snows.
- Danny Picard catches Deion Branch pointing out Monday night's game doesn't guarantee a division title.
- Christopher Price tells us the five most important things to know about the Patriots Tuesday.
- Monique Walker reports Bill Belichick won't let himself be sucked into a war of words with Rex Ryan.
- CSNNE: Derrelle Revis says "We're gonna win" Monday night.
- Karen Guregian says Deion Branch thinks Rex Ryan is a funny guy and acknowledges that the Jets are a hard-working team, but he's happy being a Patriot under Bill Belichick.
- Ian Rapoport gets Deion Branch's take on the upcoming Jets game and how he hopes to figure in to a victory for the Patriots Monday night.
- Tom E. Curran notes a Monday loss would plant the seeds of disaster, with the Patriots having to travel to Jacksonville, San Diego or Indianapolis to play a Wild Card game.
- Mark Farinella spotlights Kyle Arrington's latest role as pass rusher, lined up with the big boys in what's often a mismatch.
- Christopher Price details how Devin McCourty has already cemented his place in Patriots history.
- Mike Petraglia notes the Patriots defensive backs are getting ready for a resilient Jets team that doesn't give up.
- Karen Guregian reports the Patriots secondary will have a chance to measure itself against the Jets, compared to their first meeting in Week 2.
- Gerry Callahan asserts the best Patriots defense is Tom Brady on offense.
- Jeff Howe says the new-look Patriots offense will present different problems for Darrelle Revis and the Jets defense.
wrong about Mark Sanchez when he called him a front-runner back in September. Yeah, we were all worried about that Tedy.
admits he was
- Mike Reiss says Danny Woodhead has been deflecting the media spotlight when asked about facing his former team for the first time.
- AP Patriots offensive line jelling in time for Jets.
- Mike Reiss answers his weekly reader mailbag, focused squarely on the huge MNF game against the Jets.
- Boston Herald Patriots Notebook: Robert Kraft shares his thoughts on the Pats-Jets rivalry, "If we win, I love it."; Patriots had four days off before returning for an intense, full-pads practice and a day off today; Danny Woodhead is over his release from the Jets; Pats don't mind the Jets trash talk; Jarrad Page is healthy and could be active Monday night.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) AFC East Week 12 decisive moment: Deion Branch thoroughly beating Lions' CB Alphonso Smith.
- Kevin Fishbain (Pro Football Weekly) Jets game teetering on 'must-win'.
- ESPN Stats and Information looks closer at Brady vs. DB pressure.
- Kevin Fishbain (Pro Football Weekly) Patriots-Jets matchup of the day: Vince Wilfork vs. Nick Mangold.
- ESPN VIdeo: Trey Wingo, Tim Hasslebeck and Trent Dilfer demonstrate why the Jets's man defense figures to slow down the Patriots' passing game. (2 min. clip)
- Tim Graham (ESPN) not the best QB; Philip Rivers is. : Tom Brady is
- DJ Gallo (ESPN) NFL Hangover Week 12: Top 10 QBs in the game today.
- Kevin Fishbain (Pro Football Weekly) They said it: Patriots Tuesday edition.
- NFL Total Access Which teams will win their divisions? (6.03 min. video)
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Looking down the road at remaining foes.
- ESPN Playoff picture: If the season ended today.
- Hub Arkush (Pro Football Weekly) Next week should clear up playoff picture.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) How I see it: AFC East stock watch.
- Nolan Nawrocki (Pro Football Weekly) Falcons have Patriots look.
- Vinnie Iyer (Sporting News) Want a December to remember? Don't forget the run.
- Doug Farrar (Yahoo! Sports) The Shutdown Corner All-underrated team: The Defense.
- Andrew Brandt (Nat'l Football Post) NFL labor pains: Part One: Going inside the CBA dispute, 100 days to go.
- Jason Cole (Yahoo! Sports) Colts' Manning in midst of arguably worst slump.
- Don Banks (SI) Five bold NFL predictions for the final five weeks of the season.
- Elliot Harrison (NFL.com) Little-known players producing all-time statistical seasons.
VIEW FROM NEW YORK
- Gary Myers (NY Post) Jets will beat Patriots Monday, seize control of AFC East, prove they're ready for Super Bowl run.
- Mark Cannizzaro (NY Post) Blitz-fest only way to turn stud to Pat-sy.
- Manish Mehta (NY Daily News) Jets know they must pressure QB Tom Brady relentlessly in order to defeat Patriots Monday.
- Bart Hubbuch (NY Post) Patriots' defense playing like a bunch of buffoons.
- Jenny Vrentas (NJ Star-Ledger) With Randy Moss elsewhere, Jets defense has tall task with Patriots' tight ends.
- Mark Cannizzaro (NY Post) Too much time on Jets' hands.
- Conor Orr (NJ Star Ledger) Patriots RB Danny Woodhead finding new home in New England, newfound attention facing former team.