With the draft coming up in a couple of weeks there are certainly many topics to think about this week. Who will the Patriots sign? Who will the Patriots take in the upcoming draft? Will the Patriots make a trade? These are the 5 things I think about the New England Patriots this week April 7th.
1. I think this will be the last chance for Shawn Crable. With the draft coming up I think many fans are hoping the Pats draft some outside linebackers. Well, what about Shawn Crable? Crable is going into his third year with the Pats. He has been injured the majority of his career. In my opinion this is his last chance to show what he can do. He flashed in the pre-season 2 years ago. I am sorry he needs to show much more than a flash in pre-season. This year I hope he gives it his best shot.
2. I think if Brandon Tate and Tyrone McKenzie can play well this year the 2009 draft would be a huge success. Both of these players were injured the majority of the year. Tyrone McKenzie got injured before the season ever began. Both of these players I have heard very good things about. Brandon Tate has the potential of a first round receiver even though he was taken later in the draft. Tyrone McKenzie might be the Inside linebacker partner that Jerrod Mayo needs. Only time will tell if these players make a difference. I do know that if they do play well there draft class should be graded even higher.
3. I think Julian Edelman is going to make a bigger impact this year than most project. All I have been reading about is the lack of wide receivers for the Pats. What are the Pats going to do without Welker? Are people forgetting about Julian Edelman. He is not Wes Welker. I think he has the potential to be a good number 2 or number 3 option for Brady. He will now have another year in the system. In my opinion he is only going to get better.
4. I think I want the Pats to trade for Deion Branch before the draft. I am a huge fan of Deion and I have a feeling he will be available via trade or even waived at some point. I don't want to wait on him. I really would like the Pats to trade for him. The Pats have made several trades for players before and during the draft. They traded for Corey Dillon right before the draft. They traded for Randy Moss during the draft. He would settle so many offensive issues they might have. Who knows this system better than Deion Branch. I would trade a 4th round draft pick for him.
5. I think the New York Jets being interested in Jason Taylor is fine with me. I have had it with talk about Jason Taylor. I don't think he has much left in his tank. If he wants to go to the Jets I have no problem with that. He is not that dominant player anymore.
Those are my 5 things I think about for the week of April 7th.