Karen Guregian notes Sean Payton's open quest to know how the Patriots were able to repeat winning the Super Bowl.
"I’ve said this a number of times, when we got hired in 2006, we looked closely at New England in regards to what they were doing. Clearly, they were the model, and we’re not afraid to talk about that," Payton said. "There’s a ton of times I’ve brought up, this is an organization that gets it. They put the team first. They do a great job of bringing in the key veteran players. They’ve got good quarterback play, they’re unselfish, and all those things you talk about. Like any business you study closely that’s successful, this is the team we’ve paid attention to."
"Are you going to prepare, are you going to work, do you have the right leadership in the locker room, are you talented enough?," Payton said. "The locker room and the leadership and what they expect and how competitive we’ve tried to make practice, I think those things are some of the keys. It’s still about playing good football. The first thing you bring up is having that hunger and desire to do it again. It’s a great challenge for us and I’m excited about it."
Paul Perillo assesses the spirited afternoon practice.
-Brandon Spikes showed some nice range in pass coverage during a team period. He dropped effectively into his zone and knocked away a Drew Brees pass intended for Colston.
-With both sides working with a bit more intensity than is normally the case in practice, defenses seemed to be around the quarterbacks more often. Banta-Cain got to Brees for a would-be sack early in practice, and Will Smith actually knocked the ball out of Brady’s hand for a would-be strip sack a bit later.
Patriots-Saints practice quotes from players of both teams.-Saints: Transcript of the
LB Jonathan Vilma spoke with coach Belichick: I was just thanking him because he said a few nice comments about me after the game we played on Monday night and I respect the coaches especially one that beat me a good number of times when I was in New York so it was good to just talk to him not on a game day or game level mode but really just player to coach.
[Links Updated at 11:00 AM]
- Andy Hart offers his observations from Tuesday's morning practice.
- Paul Perillo notes the tough day for the Patriots young secondary, playing without CB Leigh Bodden who missed practice with a left knee injury.
- Patriots Today - Bill Belichick and Sean Payton sit down with Mike Mayock. (5.10 min. video)
- Locker Room Uncut - Pats, Saints chatter from Tuesday. (4.37 min. video)
- Patriots Today - Pats and Saints join forces on the field. (2.55 min. video)
- Patriots Today - Extra points from day 11. (2.17 min. video)
- Nick Caserio Press Conference (9.59 min. video) Plus Transcript.
- Ian Rapoport looks at the harsh realities and some warm-and-fuzzy truths that came to light after the Patriots practiced against the Saints yesterday.
- Mike Petraglia reports Bill O'Brien is upbeat about his offense, especially after the Saints practices.
- Shalise Manza Young recaps the Saints-Patriots dual practices Wednesday, noting the great respect each team has for the other.
- Mike Reiss wraps up the key storylines from Day 11.
- Shalise Manza Young offers some highlights from Tuesday's afternoon session.
- Mike Reiss offers his practice 21 observations and noted a lag in intensity in the afternoon practice.
- Ian Rapoport notes the injury to OLB Marques Murrell that had him carted off the field yesterday afternoon is not believed to be serious.
- Albert Breer notes Saints QB Drew Brees lauds Brady for joining the union fight. Brady has felt a responsibility to get involved.
- Ian Rapoport focuses on LB coach Matt Patricia, wearing a holey hoodie in the muggy heat yesterday, and asks him if he's the one calling the defensive plays.
- Mike Reiss puts depth at OLB in the spotlight.
- Ian Rapoport wonders if it's possible for Brandon Spikes, a LB with one of the slowest 40 times at the Combine, could be the solution at OLB for the Patriots.
- Mike Reiss answers his weekly reader mailbag. The growing preseason injury report is causing some anxiety in Patriots Nation.
- Boston Herald offers some photos from Tuesday's practices with the Saints.
- Boston Globe offers some more photos from the Pats-Saints practices Tuesday.
- Ian Rapoport posts a nice photo of Bill Belichick talking with QB Drew Brees and former Patriots Heath Evans, David Thomas.
- Boston Globe Patriots Notebook: Unlike Logan Mankins' situation, Saints guard Jahri Evans was grateful to have his contract worked out before camp; LB Marques Murrell was carted off the field during camp; Welker didn't hold back in 11-on-11 work against the Saints; Rookie TEs Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski are getting loads of reps at camp and helping each other out.
- Albert Breer's Training Camp tour: Saints.
- Ian Rapoport notes Sean Payton's connection to Jon Bon Jovi.
- Ian Rapoport Patriots Notebook: Pepper Johnson believes the lack of having a named coordinator is bringing everyone closer together; Fred Taylor's demise has been greatly exaggerated; Pats and Saints made concerted effort to avoid fights; 16,455 fans attended camp yesterday, and more than 80 media members, but Wes Welker's return topped it with over 17,000 fans turning out for a single day record; Randall Gay and David Thomas were happy to be back at Gillette and catch up with Belichick and their ex-teammates; DE Aaron Schobel is still in play and on the Pats' radar.
- Jeff Duncan (Times-Picayune) New Orleans Saints are still rock stars of the NFL. New England fans turned out in large numbers to watch the Saints.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Wes Welker's knee progressing splendidly.
- Michael Silver (Yahoo! Sports) Welker on fast track back to Patriots lineup.
- James Varney (Times-Picayune) QB Drew Brees keeping one eye on contract negotiations for Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.
- James Varney (Times-Picayune) Saints DE Will Smith hounds Pats QB Tom Brady in afternoon drills.
- James Varney (Times-Picayune) QB Drew Brees looks sharp in 2-minute drill. (yeah, except for that interception there at the end.)
- Mike Reiss and Tim Graham (ESPN) share thoughts on the New England Patriots. (4 min. video) Who stands out; Tom Brady's form, commitment and who's going to protect him.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Will Torry Holt make Patriots roster?
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Maroney talks a rugged game in camp.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Combo scrimmages fit 18-game solution.
- Peter King (SI) MMQB Tuesday Edition: Expert disputes Cushing's theory of overtraining.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Sadly, there is crying in football.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Extra kickers find no quarter in AFC East.
Tim Graham (ESPN) A first look at AFC East depth charts: Buffalo and Miami.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Jets owner on Revis in '10: 'I would say no'
- Aaron Wilson (Nat'l Football Post) Revis' agents accuse Jets of lying.
- Shutdown Corner (Yahoo! Sports) The Colts don't haze rookies. Should your team?