Brady and the starters were told to be ready to play on Thursday.
Bill Belichick explains the process when a player gets called in to be cut from the roster.
We talk to each player whatever his situation is. Sometimes we release him. Sometimes they are in a PUP or IR type situation. Sometimes they are involved in a practice squad type of transaction. Whatever it is, we talk to the player. We talk to his representatives and try to get everybody on the same page.
I think that there’s anxiousness or an apprehension with players at this point of the season relative to a lot of things. We are all a little unsettled on something whether it’s coaching decisions or whether it’s players being on the team, what their role is, what their playing time looks like to them, so forth. I think a lot of us fall into that category for one reason or another. It’s pretty common in training camp or any kind of a competitive situation like that. Once there is a deadline for certain decisions, at least something is determined after that. Maybe not everything, but something’s determined.
Tim Graham (ESPN) Words of wisdom from Bill Belichick when asked by a reporter if he feels uncertainties about his team.
"I think every coach feels like that. I can't imagine that you wouldn't. Regular season and preseason are two different things. Teams start game planning against you. Then you find out a little bit more about where you're really at on some things. Preseason, you're running your plays. They're running their plays. Sometimes they match up. Sometimes they don't. You're playing a lot of people. There are a lot of different matchups
"It's hard to get a read on it. Once you get to the regular season, nobody holds back. You get their best game plan. You get your toughest matchups. You try to create [tough matchups] for them. Your weaknesses get exposed. You try to get to your strengths, but they don't let you get to them as easily. And you're doing the same.
"It's a whole different game. Until that happens, I don't think you are really sure where exactly everything is. It's different in the regular season."
- New England Patriots at New York Giants - Broadcast info, series history, memorable match-ups, team connections and more.
- Erik Scalavino sees Brandon Tate having a strong start to his second NFL season, plus news and notes from Monday's practice.
- Erik Scalavino offers this week's PFW schedule, and reports how one bird showed it's disdain for Paul Perillo during the media session after practice.
- Patriots Today - Monday practice report. (2.48 min. video)
- Locker Room Uncut - Mayo, Slater and others after practice. (3.37 min. video)
- Bill Belichick Press Conference - 8/30/10. (18:24 min. video) Plus transcript.
- Patriots Today - Gostkowski here for the long haul. (2.15 min. video)
- Christopher Price looks at what it would take for the Pats to play the starters in the preseason finale.
- Ian Rapoport notes today is the one year anniversary of Brandon Deaderick as the vicitim of a carjacking and robbery that left him shot in the arm.
- Mike Reiss and Mike Rodak post up some soundbites from Patriots players following the team's full-pads practice Monday at Gillette Stadium.
- Danny Piccard reports the Pats were back at practice Monday, in full pads at Gillette Stadium and Jerod Mayo says the defense played "dumb football" last Thursday.
- Ian Rapoport reports Tom Brady stayed after practice with Aaron Hernandez to help him catch up after all of the time he missed due to injury.
- Mike Petraglia notes that at 24 years old, LB Jerod Mayo stepped up to say that he's ready to take on the leadership task full-time this season.
- Karen Guregian reports Matthew Slater has missed 33 days of practice but was on the field yesterday fighting to keep his job with the team.
- Jeff Howe sees Matthew Slater facing a small window of opportunity in surviving Patriots' cuts.
- Tom E. Curran says the report on Ron Brace is a sprained ankle, so he may not miss as much time as was originally feared.
- Mike Rodak adds some clarity to the Patriots injury situation.
- Mike Reiss notes Monday was "Mike Wright Day" at Gillette, after Belichick threw some bouquets in his direction at his news conference.
- Christopher Price reminds us the Patriots will have their first visit to the New Meadowlands Stadium Thursday. A timely visit before Week 2 against the Jets.
- Ian Rapoport notes Rodney Harrison is still a full-blooded Patriot at heart.
- Mike Reiss includes John Clayton's explanation of why he put Brady second in his rankings (as if what Clayton thinks matters).
- Albert Breer notes Jon Gruden and Ron Jaworski see a good (not great) Pats club this season.
- Mike Reiss reports Bill Belichick discussed some of the things he looks for when working in a new facility for the first time, and the Pats will practice at Gillette to get used to the new turf.
- Mike Reiss notes Vince Wilfork doesn't care about an expanded season as long as the players get compensated fairly.
- Shalise Manza Young reports veteran Kevin Faulk didn't panic after the ugly Rams game - 'film was watched, mistakes will be corrected, and the team will move on.'
- Mike Giardi talks about the few bright spots on the Pats defensive line, Jerod Mayo and Mike Wright. (1.47 min. video)
- Albert Breer mentions Stephen Neal, Tom Brady, Wes Welker and some other teammates attended a UFC event together at the Garden yesterday.
- Albert Breer notes Adalius Thomas could be wearing green for Jets-Pats in Week 2.
- Ian Rapoport Patriots Notebook: Pats starters expect to play Thursday against the Giants; Brady and Mayo said BB served up humble pie big time on Friday; Belichick is still figuring out the 'moving parts' on the roster; Teams have until 4pm today to trim roster to 75; Meriweather practiced after tweaking his knee Thursday.
- The MNF crew (ESPN) predicts the AFC East. (2.04 min. video) Jon Gruden gives 10 wins for the Pats and Ron Jaworski picks 9, citing the young players on offense.
- John P. Lopez (SI) Big names, once-productive vets might be on the NFL chopping block. Maroney on his list.
- Dan Schaughnessy (SI) Pats-Jets the latest in long line of heated Boston-New York rivalries.
- John Clayton (ESPN) Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks. Pretty generous with his "elite" rankings.
- Mike Pereira (Fox Sports) Rule change draws ire of elite QBs. Umpire rule change may be tweaked, but here to stay
- Doug Farrar (Yahoo! Sports) Deep Posts: Will the new umpire rule affect no-huddle teams?
- MJD (Yahoo! Sports) Colts: New umpire positioning will slow us down.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) Fate of unsigned RFAs could hinge on next CBA.
- Len Pasquarelli (Fox Sports) Adding Thomas could help Jets, also tweak Pats.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Ryan, Tannenbaum at odds over Thomas?
- Peter Schrager (Fox Sports) Cincy chemistry is just one of NFL's preseason mysteries.
- MJD (Yahoo! Sports) Pottymouth Brian Billick doesn't like Rex Ryan's pottymouth.