It was a fun day today, I'll tell you that. The celebration after the game is what it's all about. We have a lot of new faces in here, and we've been working pretty hard for the entire offseason. Coach said a lot of really meaningful things last night and one of them [was], ‘You know guys, this is when we start keeping score. All of the work we've put in, this is what it's all about.' So it was good to come out. We started really fast. The defense made some really big plays: two returns for touchdowns, which really sparked us. And then throwing it to Wes [Welker] and scoring a couple touchdowns was good, too. Everyone contributed; I think that was the good part about today.
(On fear of being caught by the QB) "Yes, there definitely was. All I could think of was ‘Run, Gary, run. And get the touchdown.' There was definitely a fear. If I get caught by the quarterback, I won't hear the last of it. All I was thinking about was running."
(On making the play) "I was reading my responsibility. And once I looked back at the quarterback, the ball was in the air, so I decided to make a play on it. I just put my arms out, squeezed the ball and kept on running."
(On this being every defensive player's dream) "It is. It's my first one. Going into my third year, so I finally got me a pick and a touchdown."
"We know what we have here. We hear a lot of stuff about the pass rush and the rush defense, DBs, this and that. We try to avoid that stuff. Going through camp out there, we had guys knowing what to expect, how to play. We put a game plan together today and executed it. Everything's not perfect, don't get me wrong, but we did what we wanted to do. We came out with a W. We started the game fast and we finished. Even though there were some little bumps and stuff, some things that we gave up, but we finished. We won the game. Each week get better. This is the first week of many and this week, we have to be better than last week. It's pretty encouraging just to see how we can execute a game plan and play as a team, what we can do. So, it's going to be all about that going forward."
- Game Notes: Patriots vs. Bengals. Team and player milestones, records and interesting stats.
- Erik Scalavino analyzes the Patriots 38-24 victory over the Bengals and says two plays made the difference in the game.
- Post Game Pressers: Wes Welker (9.06 min. video), Randy Moss (15.47 min. video), Tom Brady (6.52 min. video) and Bill Belichick (8.49 min. video).
Post game quotes: Patriots and Bengals.
- Ian Rapoport says the Patriots officially put the past behind them with yesterday's win and look like a new team.
- Shalise Manza Young summarizes the Patriots 38-24 season-opening win over the Bengals yesterday at Gillette Stadium as "Fast start, stunning finish."
- Karen Guregian reports "finish" was the word of the day, and it was a good sign that Brady and company didn't let the lead slip away.
- Albert Breer says Tom Brady showed once again that he's worth every penny of his new contract.
- Mike Rodak reports young cornerbacks McCourty and Butler were up to the task of shouldering the load yesterday.
- Dan Duggan calls the play of the game: Gary Guyton's first career interception and first pick six.
- David Lefort reports Wes Welker made a successful return to action with two TDs in the opener.
- Frank Dell'Apa notes the Bengals defense seemed the most surprised at Welker's return to action on the field.
- Mike Reiss notes Bengals QB Carson Palmer was impressed with the Pats' plan on defense.
- Joe Zorbano wonders what happened to Ochocinco and T.O. at the end of the game.
- Dan Duggan notes Chad Ochocinco gave Pats CB Darius Butler props last night, calling him "extremely good."
- Mike Reiss offers his quick-hit thoughts after each quarter: First, Second, Third and Final.
- Mike Reiss looks at the snaps played by Patriots skill-position players on offense. Moss and Gronkowski lead the playtime chart.
- Art Montone says the Pats offense was better than advertised, special teams contributed with a TD from Brandon Tate and the defense chipped in with a Gary Guyton pick-six.
- Mary Paoletti says the Pats' mix-and-match with the tight ends proved troublesome for the Bengals.
- Danny Picard reports the Patriots' front line answers its critics.
- Christopher Price offers Ten things we learned Sunday.
- Tom E. Curran offers five thoughts from the Patriots win.
- Mike Reiss and Mike Rodak give us their 3 Up and 3 Down for the Patriots.
- Dan Duggan looks at the Best and Worst from Pats-Bengals.
- Albert Breer lists the Pats movers and shakers from Sunday.
- Danny Picard, Mary Paoletti and Tom E. Curran list their Best and Worst of Pats-Bengals.
- Albert Breer and Chris Gasper analyze Game 1. (3.08 min. video)
- Ron Bprges saw a tough D in the first half and says the Pats' mixed bag was good enough.
- Dan Ventura reports Sunday's win was a thrilling end to Tom Brady's roller-coaster week.
- Mike Rodak takes a look at the players who participated in three or all four of the top special teams units in the season opener.
- WEEI: Boomer Esiason says Tom Brady is Back.
- Monique Walker rehashes the Randy Moss rant.
- Ron Borges says Randy Moss spoke the truth yesterday, whether anyone wanted to hear it or not.
- Chris Forsberg offers the complete transcript of Randy Moss' post game thoughts.
- Kirk Minihane wonders if Moss' pity party is a sign of things to come.
- Mike Reiss reports what went wrong with the Logan Mankins deal that almost took place two weeks ago.
- Monique Walker Patriots Notebook: Overall, they had it covered.
- Albert Breer hears the Week 2 talk already starting.
- NFL Game Center: Cincinnati Bengals at New England Patriots. Recap, analysis, stats and that nifty highlight video.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Wrap-up: Patriots 38, Bengals 24.
- Andrew Perloff (SI) First and Ten: Patriots send Week 1 message against Bengals. "We should fear the Patriots."
- ESPN posts the video of Wes Welker on the Mayne Event. Pretty funny. (2 min.)
- Joe Reedy (Cincinnati Enquirer) Bengals get beat down by Patriots. Brady and co. shred defense; offense, special teams also flunk first test.
- Geoff Hobson (Bengals.com) Pats stun Bengals defense.
- Geoff Hobson (Bengals.com) Patriots drive through Bengals.
- Chris Chase (Yahoo! Sports) Ochocinco and T.O. leave field early, miss Bengals Hail Mary.
- Online OT (Fox Sports) Brady, Patriots prove they're not through.
- Peter King (SI) MMQB: Week 1 in the NFL left plenty to chew on and a play to stew over.
- Don Banks (SI) Inside the NFL: Week 1.
- Matt Bowen (Nat'l Football Post) Week 1 post game notebook .