Tom Brady ties Joe Montana for most Sports Illustrated covers ever by a football player, with 12.
Karen Guregian and Ian Rapoport report the trade took Laurence Maroney by surprise.
Reached by phone at the airport before his flight to Denver, Maroney described himself as disappointed - "because I didn’t see this coming," he said - with the trade.
"It is what it is," Maroney told the Herald. "It was just one of those situations. I had some great opportunities there. I felt like I had some good times running the ball, and some not so good times. I got hurt. I could never really get going.
"But I loved playing there. Now I have to move on to Denver."
Karen Guregian simplifies Randy Moss's remarks into this: He wants to continue playing for a coach and team he dearly loves and then retire as a Patriot.
"I really don’t know from Mr. Kraft’s perspective. Hopefully, he’s not too (ticked) with me," Moss said. "Bill just said, ‘Is everything OK?’ I said, ‘Yeah, coach. I’m not mad, I’m not bitter.’ And he understood in a certain sense where I was coming from. Not fully, don’t get me wrong. But the business side of it, he does understand. So, I told him, ‘Coach, you probably won’t hear from me again the rest of the year talkin’ about my contract. It’s just something I wanted to get out there and now that it’s in the air, and off my chest, you won’t hear no more about it from me after this.’ "
"Bill has his own mystique about him," Moss said. "He did seem like he was very supportive of me. He might not seem like he’s a very supportive guy to y’all. But I love playing for Bill. I love him as a man, I love him as a coach. He might not show his love inside, most of the time. When it’s all said and done, I love playing for the man."
- traded RB Laurence Maroney to the Denver Broncos.
- New England Patriots at the New York Jets: Broadcast info, series history, team connections and more.
- GMC Never Say Never Moment of the Week. Fans To Vote For Winner On NFL.com. has been nominated for the
- NFL FedEx player of the Week. Brady completed 25 of 35 passes for 258 yards and three touchdowns in the Patriots' 38 – 24 win over the Cincinnati Bengals. has been nominated for the
- Ask PFW: Reaction to first win.
- Patriots Today - Focusing on Faulk. (4.47 min. video)
- Patriots Today - Welker completes his comeback. (3.15 min. video)
- Mike Reiss analyzes the Laurence Maroney trade. Love the phrase, "a 2006 first-round draft choice who never fully emerged, is getting a fresh start with the Broncos".
- Shalise Manza Young recaps Laurence Maroney's career in New England and talks about the trade.
- Tom E. Curran says Maroney's big issue was a lack of a comfortable style. He was frantic with the ball in his hands.
- Christopher Price analyzes the Maroney trade that sent the player who sparked most debate on the Patriots to the Broncos
- Tom E. Curran talks about the Maroney trade and who will fill his roster spot.
- Albert Breer breaks down the Maroney trade.
- Ian Rapoport guesses as to why the Patriots may have traded Maroney, and looks to the future.
- Mike Reiss offers a final thought about Maroney, saying he was still a contributor to some very good teams.
- Jerry Thornton pens a semi-fond farewell to Laurence Maroney.
- Karen Guregian notes Randy Moss has no intention of getting stuck on Revis Island.
- Tony Massarotti says Moss will be fine and with solid play he can say whatever he wants.
- Christopher Price reports the Jets intend to shake off their poor season opener as they start their prep for the Patriots.
- Ian Rapoport reports that even without massive nose tackle Kris Jenkins, the Patriots will still face a serious test on Sunday against last year’s No. 1 defense.
- Mike Reiss looks at what the Patriots can learn from the Jets' Monday night loss to Baltimore.
- Christopher Price highlights the Tuesday Conference Calls with Belichick, Brown and Caserio.
- Mike Reiss offers the key details of Tom Brady's four-year contract extension from a source who has viewed the deal.
- Albert Breer takes a closer look at Brady's big deal.
- Ron Borges tries to make sense of Tom Brady's contract numbers.
- Mike Reiss reports on the recent practice of the Patriots paying some practice squad players a higher salary than the norm. That applies this year too.
- Mike Reiss cleans out his Patriots notebook on the players' day off.
- Mike Reiss answers his weekly reader mailbag.
- Shalise Manza Young Patriots Notebook: Corwin Brown discusses Pat Chung's eye-opening performance against the Bengals; Details are out on Tom Brady's record-breaking contract; Matt Light held his annual charity event yesterday, a shoot-out; Gostkowski called Sunday the worst game of his career.
- Comcast SportsNet Matt Light hosts his annual shootout, attended by fellow Patriots and celebrities to raise money for charity. (2.15 min. video.)
- Ian Rapoport talks about how Tom Brady provided a highlight at the Matt Light Celebrity Shoot-out.
- Mike Reiss notes the Patriots had second-year QB Keith Null in town for a tryout, Null has practice squad eligibility.
- Tim Laydon (SI) Patriots' internal strength, Moss honesty prove to be a good match. Excellent read.
- Jim Corbett (USA Today) Patriots count their blessings with Tom Brady safe, signed.
Tim Graham (ESPN) With Maroney gone, who'll Pats fans boo? That's cold, man.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) AFC East High energy player of the week: Patrick Chung.
- Dan Wetzel (Yahoo! Sports) Welker proves skeptics wrong again.
- Sporting News NFL team reports: What is Randy Moss worth?
- Howard Ulman, AP (Yahoo! Sports) Moss: No regrets about airing concerns on contract.
- Peter King (SI) MMQB Tuesday Edition: Sanchez's troubling performance; Chiefs' savvy drafting.
- NFL.com Week 1 Remix. (2.10 min. video)
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Rex Ryan mandates changes to Jets offense.
- Ann Killion (SI) Athletes behaving like boorish frat boys toward women is a tired act.
- Joe Posnanski (SI) The human element.
VIEW FROM NEW YORK
- Steve Serby (NY Post) Jets' Panic Room open for business.
- Manish Mehta (NY Daily News) Darrelle Revis will be responsible for containing Randy Moss when Jets host Patriots.
- Mark Cannizzaro (NY Post) Ryan admits concern about Sanchez, Jets offense.
- Steve Serby (NY Post) If the Jets are truly "Super," beating the Patriots on Sunday would be a good idea.
- Flip Bondy (NY Daily News) The Jets are always the most exciting team in football - until the game starts.
- Gary Myers (NY Daily News) Jets can't win by avoiding Mark Sanchez.