Well another season so close but yet so far.
So what do the Patriots need to do to return themselves back into the once called "Dynasty"?
Most of the recent posts have had the Pats taking offensive linemen, defensive ends or wide receivers in the first round. I agree that these are all areas of need but what is it the Pats had during all those dynasty years that they no longer have now?
1. A pure pass rusher (Seymour) to help teams from doubling Wilfork.
2. Safeties that could actually make plays (Harrison) because Meriweather is just lost.
3. Strong linebackers (Bruschi, McGinest, Vrabel) which they desperately need. Mayo is amazing but he can't make the tackle every play.
- Draft a defensive end with one those two 1st round picks. Its kind of hard to cover receivers when the quarterback has 4-5 seconds to look around.
- Trade Meriweather for a pick maybe a 3rd?
- With the possibility of Mankins leaving I think the Pats need to use one of their 1st rounders on a guard or tackle. The line is old and got burned against the Jets defense.
- Look at signing a veteran corner only if they sign for less...maybe champ bailey or someone else?
Yes the Patriots roster is young and players will develop but the some of these young players like Darius Butler keep getting burned play after play. McCourty was a great pick who had a terrific rookie season, but they do not all turn up like that. I do feel that with the return of Bodden to the secondary they will be much better.
Of course signing players depends on the CBA and if a new agreement can be reached.
Any other opinions?
What positions do the Pats need to take in the 1st round?
Defensive End (26 votes)
Offensive Linemen (4 votes)
Running Back (3 votes)
Linebacker (13 votes)
other (0 votes)
46 total votes