"Obviously I’m excited to get on the field more," Price said before practice on Thursday. "It’s never a good situation to stay on the sidelines and watch your team play. You always want to be in the game and be in close games and go into battle and go into war with your teammates. Nothing has changed for me. I’m going to keep going to practice every day. Keep preparing every day. Keep working hard."
"[Building trust with the QB is] a big part of it, obviously. He runs the show," Price said of developing a rapport with Tom Brady. "Get on the same page with him and you’re good to go after that." "I’ve always had a confidence in myself. In my game. And it’s just a matter of getting comfortable with the offensive system and getting comfortable with the quarterback and get on the same page. Just being there and just being reliable for the quarterbacks to go to and just being reliable like that."
"I’m healthy. I’m feeling good. My legs are feeling good," Price said. "That’s a big part of it. I can be out there for more consistent practices, back to back and games back-to-back, and just like I said, be more consistent. Be out there more so there’s not that inconsistency factor. If you see someone out there day to day and they’re improving every day, that’s a good sign."
I think our outlook is really that we're going to get better. We really don't worry about what everybody else says. We're just trying to get better and we're trying to do it as soon as possible. When we go out there today we're going to have that urgency at practice to get better. [We're] trying to make sure it keeps coming over on Sundays, not just for a week, not for two weeks but that we can be consistent stringing each game together.
[To speed up the improvement process] you just have to work. I wish there was a way we could just press a button or something, but it's just hard work and I think time, putting the extra effort into it, watching film together - doing all that stuff I think will play off for us. Q: How important is it to watch film together? DM:
Definitely I think that's key - just watching [film] together so now you're not guessing on what you think another guy on the field is going to do or guessing on what you think he sees. We're able to talk about it - that's sometimes where you can find a problem that could happen on Sunday, you find it right there in the meeting room and you can talk about it and get it fixed right there.
- Erik Scalavino tells us Wes Welker was back and Dane Fletcher was the only one missing from practice Thursday.
- Andy Hart reads that Sports Illustrated still has the Patriots winning the Super Bowl in its mid-season report. Go figure.
- Patriots release Ross Ventrone. Again.
Press Conference: Devin McCourty (7.30 min. video plus Transcript)
- Player Interviews: Taylor Price (4.25 min.), Vince Wilfork (4.35 min.) and Kyle Arrington (1.59 min.)
- Locker Room Uncut - Price, Wilfork and more. (3.01 min. video)
- Monique Walker writes Taylor Price is ready to be more involved in the patriots offense.
- Mark Farinella thinks Taylor Price has the speed to give the Patriots a much-needed deep threat in the passing game.
- Christopher Price says throughout the first seven games of the season, the Patriots remain one of the best offenses in the league.
- Paul Kenyon notes the Patriots defense is getting attacked from all angles, with the detractors becoming bolder.
- Mark Farinella reports Devin McCourty is aware that he is being targeted by opposing QBs but says his only focus is getting consistently better each week.
- Mike Petraglia says Vince Wilfork admits the Pats D 'hasn't been perfect but it's getting there.'
- Ian Rapoport focuses on the changes to the Patriots secondary.
- Ian Rapoport introduces us to the Patriots virtual unknowns in the secondary.
- Chris Forsberg serves up some quick-hits from the media-access period in the locker room on Thursday.
- Ian Rapoport mentions Ahmad Bradshaw has a cracked bone in his foot, but he's prepared to play. Also, he says it was Shaun Ellis who cracked Brady's ribs in '09.
- A. Sherrod Blakely reports the Patriots secondary will have their hands full when UMass alum Victor Cruz takes the field on Sunday.
- John Powers reports the Giants are concerned with getting their defense back to where it's supposed to be, stopping rival rushers from putting up triple figures.
- Paul Flannery details the many changes on both teams since the last time the Patriots and Giants met in the Super Bowl.
- Ian Rapoport notes Stephen Gostkowski was upset about the onside kick and wishes he could have it back.
- Jeff Howe reports Danny Woodhead says he is comfortable with his limited role in Kevin Faulk's return to the Patriots.
- Michael Hurley and Ben Watanabe debate whether the Patriots are still a lock to win their division.
- Mike Reiss gives us a game-by-game breakdown of the Patriots base vs. sub defense.
- Mike Reiss offers the transcript of his weekly online chat.
- Shalise Manza Young answers her weekly reader mailbag. Interestingly she refers to Matt Patricia as the 'de facto coordinator'.
- Ian Rapoport notes Rex Ryan has a bit part in an Adam Sandler movie where he plays a lawyer who is a die-hard Pats fan.
- Monique Walker Patriots Notebook: Defenders refuse to make excuses for their unit's struggles; Wes Welker was limited in yesterday's full-pads practice; Injury and practice update; Ross Ventrone was released again; Leigh Bodden worked out with the Chiefs.
- Ian Rapoport Patriots Notebook: Vince Wilfork takes the heat for defensive woes, won't pin it on the secondary; Wes Welker returned to practice but was limited with a neck injury; Ross Ventrone got his weekly boot; Ventrone's spot may be used by DL Ron Brace if he is activated from the PUP list; Brandon Jacobs will likely play in place of Ahmad Bradshaw.
- Jim Lazar makes his Week 9 picks. Pats over Giants 34-24.
Jeff Howe makes his Week 9 Picks. Pats don't cover the 9-point spread.
- Mike Reiss and Ohm Youngmisuk (ESPN) Video: Patriots-Giants field pass.
- Staff Report (NFL.com) Manning, Giants try to upend Brady in New England this time.
- Don Banks (SI) NFL Midseason Report: 2011.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) Former player says Belichick paid him to start fights in practice.
- Kevin Fishbain (Pro Football Weekly) Five questions with Patriots ORG Brian Waters.
- James Walker (ESPN) AccuScore predicts Pats to bounce back.
- Staff Report (Fox Sports) Top 10 NFL beards. Logan Mankins number 4.
- Ed Bouchette (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) Steelers' Clark accepts $15K fine for late hit on Rob Gronkowski.
- Pete Prisco (CBS Sports) After further review: These Steelers know how to man up.
- Scott Kacsmar (Cold Hard Football Facts) CHFF Super Study: Which QBs decline after seven games?
- Peter King (SI) Weekend Pickoff: Week 9. Pats 27-Giants 22.
- Mike Florio and Gregg Rosenthal (ProFootballTalk) Week 9 Picks. Florio picks Pats 35-27; Rosenthal picks Pats 31-27.
- NFP Report (Nat'l Football Post) Friday Forecast: Week 9.
VIEW FROM NEW YORK
- Paul Schwartz (NY Post) Giants' Tuck knows Patriots 'almost unbeatable' at home.
- Jeff Roberts (The Record) Giants feel super about chances against Tom Brady.
- Mark Hale (NY Post) Patriots pair puts Giants in 'tight' spot.
- Mike Vorkunov (NJ Star-Ledger) Jake Ballard sees opportunity against Patriots for Giants tight end to make an impact.
- Steve Serby (NY Post) Hurting Giants have to rely on Eli.
- Michael Eisen (Giants.com) RBs ready for action.
- Ralph Vacchiano (NY Daily News) This might be the last shot for RB Brandon Jacobs when he faces Patriots.
- Paul Schwartz (NY Post) Bradshaw's foot injury opens door for Giants' Jacobs.
- Ebenezer Samuel (NY Daily News) Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks won't rush back from injury.
- Paul Schwartz (NY Post) Giants' Nicks doubtful to play against Patriots.
- Michael Eisen (Giants.com) Coughlin's corner.
- Justin Terranova (NY Post) 5 questions for ... Eric Mangini.
- Bob Raissman (NY Daily News) Giants, Jets games are big matchups in broadcast booth, too.