Greg A. Bedard talks with AFC East division foes about the Patriots' enviable position heading into the Draft.
All Dolphins coach Tony Sparano could do was shake his head even before the question was finished.
"Look, we all compete within the division, there’s no question about it, and we all keep an eye on what everybody else is doing,’’ said Sparano, whose team went 7-9 last season. "So I think with the number of picks that they have and the ways to improve their football team with young players through the draft — which is really the way, they’ve done a great job of that — it becomes a little bit, from our end, competitive in that we know what we have and we know what they have from a pick standpoint and we have to try to continue to compete.
"We have to do the best job we can with what we have to be able to compete with those people. But they certainly have the opportunity to make their team better with the number of picks that they have.’’
"They’re probably unbeatable,’’ he said. "Probably go undefeated for three, four straight years.’’
And then he made an important point. "Hey, they’ve got to get it right, they have to stay healthy,’’ Gailey said. "They’re just like everybody else. You have to do everything just as right as you can do it and keep trying to win. "And they’ve done a good job of it. They’ve done a good job of compiling picks for this draft and they’ll probably parlay some of this into something next year.’’
Does Jets coach Rex Ryan have any thoughts on this?
"Yeah,’’ he said, laughing. "Play all those rookies. That’s how I look at it. Play them all.’’
- Patriots Mock Draft Tracker.
- Patriots Roster Report - 4/01/11 Edition: The recent addition of assistant strength and conditioning coach Moses Cabera; details on the contract for Marcus Stroud and his recent comments on how excited he is to play for New England; overall depth at D-Line. (9.39 min. audio)
- Patriots Today - Cheerleaders down to final 40. (1.29 min. video)
- Mike Reiss reviews Bill Belichick's explanation (from back in 2003) of how the Patriots stack their draft board.
- Mike Reiss analyzes the latest NFLN mock draft selections for the Patriots.
- Shalise Manza Young scouts the draft: RB Mark Ingram (Alabama).
- Jeff Howe says CB Prince Amukamara (Nebraska) could be a surprise draft target for the Patriots.
- Ian Rapoport predicts this year's random Bill Belichick draft selection: former star lacrosse player Will Yeatman (Maryland).
- Robert Lee notes the talent pool is deep at defensive end, where the Patriots could use the help.
- Robert Lee focuses on the outside linebacker position in this year's Draft.
- The Providence Journal staff previews five guards available in the draft who may be of interest to the Patriots.
- Greg A. Bedard notes Robert Kraft made a phone call to congratulate Stephen Cornell, who thwarted a robbery by tripping the robber with his prosthetic leg, which happened to have a Patriots sticker on it.
- Mike Reiss is soliciting reader questions to ask Danny Woodhead today.
- Ian Rapoport points out the bad timing of Mike Vrabel's arrest yesterday.
- Clark Judge (CBS Sports) Patriots Draft needs: From 14-2 to deceptively needy.
- Josh Katzowitz (CBS Sports) Offseason Checkup: New England Patriots.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Woodhead alive, Sanchez out in 'Madden 12'.
- Michael David Smith (ProFootballTalk) Madden cover tournament down to Elite Eight.
- AP (ESPN) Mike Vrabel arrested for theft.
- KMBC 9 News (KMBC.com) Chief's Vrabel arrested on theft charge. Police: Case involved alcohol taken from deli.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Randy Moss insists he can pull out of rut.
- Matt Maiocco (CSNBayArea) Five-year study of NFL Drafts.
- Wes Bunting (Nat'l Football Post) Second-round picks with first-round talent.
- Mike Piellucci (Fox Sports) The 10 biggest QB busts in NFL draft history.
- Mock Draft 2011. Patriots select RB Mark Ingram (Alabama) at 17 and OL Nate Solder (Colorado) at 28. (NFLN)
- Clifton Brown (SI) Alabama RB Mark Ingram in 'best shape of my life'.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Patriots on clock in AFC East reader mock.
- Wes Bunting (Nat'l Football Post) Is a former lacrosse player this year’s late round draft gem?
- Jamison Hensley (Baltimore Sun) Goodell says NFL will insist on HGH testing.
- Michael McCann (SI) What to expect from Brady v. NFL.
- Jonathan Tamari (Philadelphia Inquirer) Judge in NFL dispute is big on compromise.
- Carlos Monarrez (Detroit Free Press) Legal expert: I'd side with owners if I were the judge.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) League responds to Eller case, which adds a rookie.
- Judy Battista (NY Times) NFL says second lawsuit unlikely to succeed.
- Another lockout issue: Loss of pre-draft camp impacts new coaches, veterans. (Nat'l Football Post)
- Michael Bean (SportsRadioInterviews) Drew Brees embracing role as leader of players in ongoing NFL lockout.
- Michael Silver (Yahoo! Sports) Fan protests of no consequence around NFL.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) League denies report of refusal to negotiate last week.
- Jarrett Bell (USA Today) NFL owners tell retirees: We won't cut funding for benefits in lockout.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) Mark Murphy, Jerry Richardson make pitch to retired players.