Patrick Chung responds to a question about how he would talk to a rookie or younger guy about the challenges of playoff football.
Honestly, prepare for the game like it's a regular game you're trying to win. You can't get too hyped about it because if you get too hyped you might get too antsy and then you never know what might happen, but if you have the same preparation that you do week-in-and-week-out and just take it as a game that we have to win just like every other week then that's the best advice I can give them. Just relax and let the game come to you.
Yeah, [I had to learn that lesson myself] because I'm just straight Energizer Bunny out there, so they try to tell me just to relax and let the game come to you. I finally realized that great advice, so that's the one thing I'll tell a rookie coming in, ‘Just play your game and don't worry about all the other hype and everything else that's going on around you.'
Who gave you that advice? [Tedy] Bruschi, [Jerod] Mayo, [and] Junior [Seau], guys that have been there, that have been in playoff games throughout their careers – just listening to those guys.
Great selection. I had the privilege of working for a year with Ed. He was a tremendous guy, real inspiration to all of us at the Colts. I was only there one year, but still. Chad's [O'Shea] father actually worked with him as well. Of course, Marcus has gone through a lot this year. He's certainly had to deal with a lot more than a normal rookie would have to deal with, which is a big transition as it is, just coming into this league. He dealt with a lot very maturely and unselfishly. He did what he had to do, but at the same time he was always there for the team and was always doing what he could to help the team and he's helped the team in a lot of ways. I'm proud that he's on our team and what he's accomplished. He certainly deserves to be recognized for it.
- The New England Patriots announce Marcus Cannon is named the Patriots' 2011 Ed Block Courage Award Winner, as voted by his teammates.
- Andy Hart notes Tom Brady is on the cover of Sports Illustrated again, as one of four regional covers for SI's playoff review issue.
- Erik Scalavino tells us what happened Thursday at Gillette.
- Playoff tickets for the AFC's top-seeded New England Patriots: A limited number will go on sale to the general public today through TicketMaster.
- Press Conferences: Bill Belichick (15.54 min. video) and Patrick Chung (5.09 min. video)
- Player Interviews: Deion Branch (3.45 min.), James Ihedigbo (3.03 min.) and Brandon Spikes (4.11 min.)
- Patriots Locker Room Quotes.
- Patriots Today - Thursday practice report. (1.21 min. video)
- Patriots Today - Handling the bye week. (2.36 min. video)
- Patriots Today - Key postseason defensive players. (3.07 min. video)
- Patriots Today - Potential opponents: Pittsburgh. (3.25 min. video)
- Locker Room Uncut - Spikes and others chime in. (2.48 min. video)
- Shalise Manza Young reports Bill O'Brien will stay with the Patriots until the season is over, before fully taking on his new role as head coach at Penn State.
- Tom E. Curran reminds us of how Bill O'Brien helped re-shape the Patriots offense after Randy Moss was traded, and notes he'll have a tough road ahead at Penn State.
- Mike Reiss breaks down how Bill O'Brien's departure for Penn State will affect the Pats.
- Mike Reiss reports both the Patriots and the Chiefs have sought permission from the Rams to speak with Josh McDaniels.
- Christopher Price puts together the short list of candidates to replace Bill O'Brien as Patriots offensive coordinator.
- Ian Rapoport reveals Vince Wilfork's swimming routine that improves his endurance and keeps him healthy, refreshed and well-conditioned.
- Ian Rapoport says it's all the little things Vince Wilfork does, more than the big plays, that help separate him from the pack.
- Amalie Benjamin reports Brandon Spikes is eager to help his team in the playoffs after missing half the season with a knee injury.
- Mark Farinella points out it's been four years and Jerod Mayo still hasn't experienced a playoff win.
- Paul Kenyon presents his own list of team award winners after following the 2011 Patriots for the past five months.
- Mike Rodak & Mike Reiss serve up some quick hits from the media-access period in the Patriots' locker room.
- Mike Reiss replays some soundbites from the locker room yesterday.
- Mike Rodak serves up some additional nuggets from Bill Belichick's Thursday morning news conference.
- Christopher Price posts another positional playoff preview: Wide receiver.
- Steve Buckley writes how Robert Kraft has a broken heart without Myra, and he believes she was looking on when the Patriots turned around their 21-0 deficit against the Bills.
- Ian Rapoport Patriots Notebook: Bill O'Brien accepts job at Penn State, but will remain with the team through the playoffs; Brandon Spikes returned to the team after his injury in much better shape than he did after his suspension in 2010; Spikes feels great and considers himself fortunate to be on the field, and the bye week gives him a chance to work out the kinks; Wes Welker sat out practice yesterday because of a coach's decision; Teammates voted Marcus Cannon for the Ed Block courage Award.
- Shalise Manza Young Patriots Notebook: Rookie OL Marcus Cannon was chosen as the team's Ed Block Courage Award winner yesterday; Pat Chung advises teammates on how to approach their first playoff game; Practice participation update; Patriots set a team record for local TV viewership during the regular season.
- Ron Borges issues his 2011 regular-season Patriots Report Card, noting this was one of the odder 13-3 seasons in recent football history.
- Jim Lazar makes his Wild Card Weekend picks, and takes Belichick to task for allowing the Patriots' standing as the worst defense in the league to slip away.
- The Boston Globe offers its predictions for the 2012 playoffs.
- Chris Mortensen (ESPN) Source: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St. Hostile quotes and threats from alumni group.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) O'Brien won't abandon the Pats during the playoffs.
- Kevin Fishbain (Pro Football Weekly) Patriots DT Love helping Wilfork clog the middle.
- Interactive Graphic (NFL.com) The Road to Super Bowl XLVI. Pretty cool, with video highlights and major milestones for each team week-by-week.
- James Walker (ESPN) 2011 All-AFC East team.
- Erik Frenz (Cold Hard Football Facts) Hog Report: Breaking down the playoffs.
- Brian Billick (NFL.com) Statistics show strengths, weaknesses of playoff teams.
- Scott Kacsmar (Cold Hard Football Facts) Wild Card history.
- Jason Cole (Yahoo! Sports) Passing numbers could take hit in playoffs.
- Matt Bowen (Nat'l Football Post) Wild Card weekend: Five things to watch.
- Albert Breer (NFL.com) Four things that might make a difference in wild-card weekend.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) PFT's Wild Card picks.
- Peter King (SI) Weekend Pickoff: Wild Card Round.
- Staff Report (SI) SI.com's NFL postseason predictions.