Otto Greule Jr - Getty Images
New England Patriots Daily News and Links for 10/17/12
"Honestly, I’m not sure. I kind of say sometimes the quarterback lulls us to sleep. They do a lot of running and then all of sudden they hit with a play-action and a big play. You have to stay focused out there."
Dennard said the message from the coaches in Tuesday’s meeting was pretty clear.
"That’s how it goes," he said. "You have to always have that mindset that you can make plays. If you don’t make plays, you don’t perform well. I say we have to stay focused, stay focused on what we have to do out there. We have to play as a team and everybody has to be on the same page."
"It’s very tough just because you have to stay focused on what you have to do on the field," Dennard said. "I’m not going to say you have to be focused on [only] one thing. You have to be focused on a lot of things. You have to have your technique on point, mirror the receiver and just know what the receiver is going to do before you go out there.
"I know I messed up a lot on my technique. After watching film, I have a lot of stuff I have to work on."
- Game Preview: New England Patriots vs. New York Jets. Broadcast info, series history, team connections and more.
- Paul Perillo notes the players are turning their focus and attention to the Jets.
- Andy Hart tackles the Ask PFW mailbag, stuffed full with concerns about the secondary.
- The PFW staff takes a closer look at one of the turning points in Sunday's game: The final fateful punt that Seattle returned for 25 yards and put them in great position to score.
- Patriots High School Coach of the Week: Mansfield's Mike Redding. Little shout out to the home-town coach. : )
- Karen Guregian focuses on how the Patriots lose their way with the game on the line.
- Karen Guregian picks seven games to prove her point. Three of them are from 2009.
- Michael Vega writes about how the Patriots are grappling with the difference between expectations and results.
- Greg A. Bedard tells us how the Patriots secondary has become the NFL's worst.
- Ron Borges states it's all about the players, and there's a limit to how coaching can fix a lack of talent in the secondary.
- Mike Reiss believes veteran safety Steve Gregory is inching closer to 100 percent.
- Tom E. Curran saw Deion Branch getting mauled near the goal line twice at the end of the first half.
- Mike Reiss notes the Patriots will wear their throwback uniforms versus the Jets.
- Michael Vega reports Bill Belichick is preparing for the multiple threats posed by Tim Tebow.
- Field Yates notes the Jets have been OK without Revis so far.
- Paul Kenyon says this Pats-Jets matchup has a different feel. Both teams have to get their own house in order before worrying about anyone else.
- Christopher Price tracks the Patriots penalties through Week 6.
- Field Yates notes that when NFL draft expert Mel Kiper, Jr. revisits the 2011 draft class, he moves Nate Solder up to the 9th spot.
- Mike Reiss answers his weekly Patriots mailbag: Second-guessing the coaches.
- Andy Gresh grades the Patriots in his Week 6 Report card: Utter devastation.
- Karen Guregian Patriots Notebook: It's Jets week and the players say they will be prepared for however they use Tebow; Steve Gregory made an appearance in the locker room and spoke with the media yesterday; DL Myron Pryor and TE Visanthe Shianco are eligible to start practicing this week.
- Josh Alper (ProFootballTalk) Belichick: Tebow's a "valuable guy".
- Jen Floyd Engel (Fox Sports) Ex-Patriots can't live up to Brady tag.
- James Walker (ESPN) Week 6 knee-jerk reactions.
- Matt Bowen (Nat'l Football Post) Russell Wilson's TD pass to beat the Patriots.
- Peter King (SI) MMQB Tuesday Edition; Mail.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) Beyonce gets the Super Bowl halftime gig.
- Doug Farrar (Yahoo! Sports) Absurdly premature 2012 playoff picture: Week 6.
VIEW FROM NEW YORK
- Manish Mehta (NY Daily News) New England Patriots high-tempo offense will test NY Jets' conditioning.
- Mike Vorkunov (Star-Ledger) Patriots look to solve pass defense and NFL-worst secondary.
- Ben Shpigel (NY Times) Jets welcome renewal of rivalry with Patriots.
- Mike Vorkunov (Star-Ledger) Jets' Mike DeVito says something special about facing Patriots.
- David Satriano (NY Post) Patriots' Brady has high praise for Cromartie, Jets defense.
- Brian Costello (NY Post) Santonio injury could jump-start Sanchez like losing TE Schockey did for Eli.