Mike Reiss reports draft analyst Todd McShay shared his insight as to some of the "value" areas that could be there for the Patriots in the late first round.
Receiver: "Michael Floyd [of Notre Dame] would be a good fit, a guy who can get down the field and has some size. Kendall Wright [of Baylor] I think also could be a good fit; he’s undersized like some of their other guys, but he has explosive, explosive speed. He can get down the field and provide that big play, vertically, that they’ve been missing. He also can help in the return game should they choose and he’s great after the catch."
Cornerback: "It will be interesting to see if any of these corners drop. By any of them, I mean Dre Kirkpatrick from Alabama. Obviously Bill Belichick has a great relationship with Nick Saban and will have a great feel for Kirkpatrick and whether he fits what they want to do or not. He certainly looks like a corner who would fit what they like in terms of the versatility. He’s not an elite man-to-man cover corner, but very instinctive in zone. The knock on him, outside of the baggage, is that he gets there and bats down a lot of balls and is in position to make tackles after the catch, but doesn’t make a lot of big plays. Janoris Jenkins would be another guy, a Florida guy who was dismissed from the team and played at North Alabama this past season. I think he has very good man-to-man cover skills and certainly can play on the outside for them and I think would upgrade their corner situation."
Safety: "Mark Barron from Alabama could drop a little bit [hernia]. He won’t be working out at the combine." Pass rushers: "Chandler Jones, the Syracuse defensive end, I know I’m probably higher on him than most guys. But I do think he has a chance to be a really good player and I love his versatility. I think he would fit New England from that perspective. Andre Branch is another one, out of Clemson – 6-4, 260, could play defensive end but also could drop when they go back and forth in their four-man front and three-man front. There is some depth to this class. Ronnell Lewis is another one, from Oklahoma. They can find a pass rusher should they decide to draft one."
- Michael Jurovaty writes Patriots RBs coach Ivan Fears recalls his journey from promising player to committed coach.
- 2012 NFL Scouting Combine - Feb. 22-28: A quick primer.
- Mike Reiss crafts a deal for Wes Welker that will work for both sides.
- Ian Rapoport looks at the backup QB situation and believes the Patriots will hold on to Brian Hoyer while Ryan Mallett continues to improve.
- CSNNE reports Sterling Moore is a professional football player, but that doesn't mean he doesn't use Coinstar just like the rest of us.
- Christopher Price profiles free agent WR Brandon LLoyd as a possible fit for the Patriots.
- Mike Reiss shares what we learned about the 2012 NFL Draft from Todd McShay on a conference call yesterday.
- Tom E. Curran explains why Cris Carter misses the point on why wideouts aren't valued.
- Luke Hughes reports Joe Flacco's agent believes the QB deserves Tom Brady money.
- Mike Reiss offers the transcript of his weekly online chat.
- Mike Reiss serves up some additional leftovers from his weekly online chat.
- Ian Rapoport notes Danny Woodhead has been back home in Nebraska, reconnecting with family and friends and, of course, taking in a UFC bout.
- Kevin Fishbain (Pro Football Weekly) Patriots look to change luck in drafting WRs.
- Nicholas Pike (NFL UK) International Series survey reveals Tom Brady is your favourite player.
- James Walker (ESPN) Top 40 players in the AFC East: Nos. 13-16 and Nos. 9-12.
- Chris Burke (SI) Free Agency Primer: AFC East.
- Pete Prisco (CBS Sports) Let's make a match: Finding the best free agent for your team.
- Cian Fahey (St. Louis Post-Dispatch) Brandon Lloyd and 5 re-signings which will shape Free Agency before it starts.
- Report (NFL.com) Notable free agents in the 2012 class.
- Report (NFL.com) 2012 Scouting Combine news and info.
- Albert Breer (NFL.com) Questions abound heading into NFL Scouting Combine.
- Mike Mayock (NFLN) Pre-Combine position rankings for 2012 NFL Draft.
- Bucky Brooks (NFL.com) Ranking receivers, tight ends entering NFL Scouting Combine.
- Bucky Brooks (NFL.com) Offensive linemen pool appears deep heading to the Combine.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) Condon's comments hint that tampering will be rampant next week.
- ultimate combine test. (Nat'l Football Post) Why the 40-yard dash is still the
- Wes Bunting (Nat'l Football Post) Breaking down which offensive prospects need a big week in Indy.
- Gregg Rosenthal (ProFootballTalk) Forecasting the franchise tags.
- Matt Bowen (Nat'l Football Post) NFL Draft: How to grade the CB position.
- Mike Freeman (CBS Sports) Late hits: Why do so many former NFL players go broke?
- Michael David Smith (ProFootballTalk) Rex Ryan planning on getting a Super Bowl ring, quickly.
- Brad Biggs (Chicago Tribune) Increase in touchbacks led to decrease in concussions on kickoffs.