Paul Perillo sits down with Dante Scarnecchia and gets the scoop on what makes Brian Waters so special.
"Over the last month, when we had all those guys hurt – [Matt] Light, [Logan] Mankins – he was the bell cow. He stepped forward. In the Miami game, he was the only guy. He had more years experience than all those guys [in the game at the time] combined. And he’s the guy on the sideline saying, ‘Here’s what we have to do, here’s how we have to do it, everybody’s got to shut up and communicate, do it the right way, reduce all the talking.’
And he got them going on the field, to his credit, down 17-0 and we’re standing there saying ‘holy [expletive], we’re in trouble.’ We got no Light, no Mankins, [Nate] Solder is over there [at left tackle], Marcus [Cannon], he just finished chemotherapy three months earlier – ‘Marcus, get in at right tackle’ – I’m not saying that other than to say ‘Hey, this is looking pretty [bad] right now.’ And Brian’s got ’em all on the sideline saying, ‘C’mon, we got to do this.’ And then we start having some success and it starts working out. That’s the stuff you love."
Logan Mankins is asked about the Giants trash-talk this week.
"I'm not surprised. We've played these guys a few times now, you kind of can expect this from their side. I don't blame them for being confident and wanting to win. We would love to have a big parade for our fans too. We know only one team can win and it's either going to be our fans or their fans. We'll just have to wait and see. Football is about making your statement on the field. The game is on the field. It's not during the week, or in practice, or through the media, it's on Sunday in that three hour block. We'll see who does the talking this weekend."
Ian Rapoport asks Joe Montana what he appreciates from Brady’s game.
"His ability, getting the ball out of his hand, making quick decisions. He’s the kind of guy that takes what you give him," Montana said. "And that’s how you last in this league. That’s what he does the best. He’s going to find a weakness and that’s why the key for the Giants is you got to make him move. "You can’t let him stay in there, he’ll kill you."
- Patriots-Giants Thursday Injury Report.
- Andy Hart says the Patriots special teams are ready to make an impact.
- Erik Scalavino notes Giants TE Jake Ballard is happy for the attention Rob Gronkowski is getting and for how the Pats' TEs have changed how the position is played.
- Paul Perillo shares his team notes from Indy.
- Press Conference: Bill Belichick (15.04 min. video)
- Patriots coaching staff Quotes.
- Patriots Quotes: Defense and Offense.
- Patriots Today - Gronk returns as Pats push forward. (2.10 min. video)
- Patriots Today - A look back 10 years - Thursday. (1.15 min. video)
- Locker Room Uncut - Chung, Anderson, and more. (3.24 min. video)
- NFLN Video: Who means more to Patriots' success? (2.54 min.)
- NFLN Video: Half time too long? (1.22 min.)
- Ian Rapoport updates us on what Bill Belichick says about the Gronkle this morning.
- Mike Reiss shares the Patriots practice report and notes filed by pool reporter Alex Marvez of Fox Sports.
- Karen Guregian analyzes some Pats-Giants Super Bowl matchups, position by position.
- Christopher Price tells us five things we learned Thursday: No-huddle for Patriots? No chance for Giants' defense.
- Jeff Howe notes the Patriots are excited about their progress despite outside concerns over their uncharacteristic loose attitude with the media. Seriously?
- Jackie MacMullan talks about how Vince Wilfork has grown up and grown into his role as leader.
- Mark Daniels says it's dedication and leadership that sets Jerod Mayo apart.
- Tom E. Curran feels Brandon Spikes must keep his emotions in check on Sunday.
- Gerry Callahan believes Sunday Tom Brady will make the doubters look silly.
- Mike Reiss notes Bill O'Brien thinks Tom Brady played better than the QB thought, against the Ravens.
- Tom E. Curran says Ryan Mallett has come a long way since his uncomfortable media session at the Combine.
- Mary Paoletti has a nice piece on FB Lousaka Polite and how time away from football gave him time with his daughter.
- Steve Buckley reports Wes Welker's cell phone call before the draft may have altered his career path.
- what to expect in the Super Bowl, and make their picks. and Mike Reiss tell us
- Gary Marbry creates his Super Bowl Nuggetpalooza, Part 1: When the Giants have the ball.
- Gary Marbry shares his Nuggetpalooza Part 2: When the Patriots have the ball.
- Tom E. Curran reports Tom Coughlin says his players are confident and are just cooperating with the media.
- Mike Reiss offers a few of the highlights from coach Belichick's news conference this morning.
- Michael Whitmer sees Bill Belichick one win away from his fourth Super Bowl title and history.
- Dan Shaughnessy wonders if Bill Belichick will retire if he wins the Super Bowl, and other thoughts from Indy.
- WEEI highlights Troy Brown on the Mut & Merloni Show: '08 Patriots had 'atrocious' practice before SB XLII.
- Ian Rapoport catches up with Joe Montana, who considers himself Tom Brady's biggest fan.
- Craig Meyer shows Tom Brady's 2011 stats show a decline in his late-game performance from the Super Bowl years.
- Tony Massarotti is skeptical about the state of Rob Gronkowski's ankle.
- Ron Borges says a second title will cement the status of Eli Manning.
- Mike Reiss posts the transcript of his weekly online chat.
- Ian Rapoport Patriots Notebook: Sterling Moore is just hoping he'll play well enough to have the opportunity to be back next year; Players appreciated Belchick trying to simulate the long halftime to get used to stopping and then practically starting a game over; Brady thinks he's taken a lesson from each of the games against New York; It's likely that this Super Bowl will be the last game of Kevin Faulk's career; The media obligations for the Patriots ended yesterday.
- The Boston Herald Writers make their picks and offer their explanations & excuses.
- Kirk Minihane listens to his 'inner Hank', tells us all the reasons why the Giants will win.
- Greg Garber (ESPN) Brady, Belichick not satisfied yet.
- Jim Trotter (SI) Cool, calm Brady anything but when it comes to competitive drive.
- Jeff Arnold (Yahoo! Sports) How Tom Brady's special bond with his sisters helped make him a star.
- Clark Judge (CBS Sports) Brady great, but he needs a fourth title to really be compared with Montana.
- John Parolin (ESPN STats & Info) Patriots defense improved in postseason.
- Bucky Brooks (NFL.com) How did the Pats, Giants solve glaring defensive issues?
- Pete Prisco (CBS Sports) Are the Giants in Brady's head? 'The Flinch' would suggest they are.
- Dan Wetzel (Yahoo! Sports) Bill Belichick is a coaching contrarian with a plan.
- Mark Kriegel (Fox Sports) Gronkowski fits the Belichick mold.
- Sam Farmer (LA Times) Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski 'a new kind of monster'.
- Jeff Darlington (NFL.com) Ever-evolving TE position truly changing the game.
- Mike Freeman (CBS Sports) Former run stuffer Wilfork now Patriots' disruptive force.
- Hub Arkush (Pro Football Weekly) Mankins glad he's still a Patriot.
- Jim Corbett (USA Today) New England Patriots defense no longer a weak link?
- Steve Wyche (NFL.com) Hodgepodge secondary showcases 'The Patriot Way'.
- Marty Dobrow (ESPN) Sweet James aims to please: Former 'runt' and UMass walk-on, Ihedigbo is now a QB's nightmare -- and a mom's pride and joy.
- Gary Mihoces (USA Today) Woodhead, Cruz, others heal from earlier cuts.
- Kevin Fishbain (Pro Football Weekly) Patriots-Giants matchup of the day: WRs Wes Welker and Deion Branch vs. CBs Corey Webster and Aaron Ross.
- Chris Burke (SI) Pats punter Zoltan Mesko happy to play 'goofball' role.
- James Walker (ESPN) Patriots: Fit in or get out.
- Jonathan Comey (Cold Hard Football Facts) Five untrue things you'll hear this week.
- Matt Bowen (Nat'l Football Post) Don't overlook the Giants' talent at WR.
- Gregg Rosenthal (ProFootballTalk) Bill O'Brien focused on one thing for a few more days.
- Michael David Smith (ProFootballTalk) Josh McDaniels stays out of sight during Super Bowl week.
- Stephen J. Dubner (NFL.com) Football Freakanomics: Does defense win championships?
- Erik Frenz (Cold Hard Football Facts) The Hog Report: Showdown eerily similar.
- Kevin Braig (Cold Hard Football Facts) Coaching, the Super Bowl and the wealth of turnovers.
- Tom Danyluk (Pro Football Weekly) Giant express set to derail.
- No Huddle (NFL.com) Eli vs. Brady. (1.39 min. video)
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) Toomer says '07 Giants wideouts had to be "acrobats".
- Jet fan's worst nightmare. (NFL.com) Patriots-Giants Super Bowl is a
- Sunday Countdown (ESPN) Super Bowl Picks: Carter & Jackson pick Patriots; Ditka & Johnson don't.
- Prim Siripipat (ESPN) AccuScore report for Patriots-Giants.
- Andrew Brandt (Nat'l Football Post) Super Bowl facts and figures.
VIEW FROM NEW YORK
- Ralph Vacchiano (NY Daily News) Giants know road to title goes through Tom Brady and Patriots.
- Michael Eisen (Giants.com) Scouting Report: Patriots Super Bowl edition.
- Staff Report (Star-Ledger) Super Bowl history: How Giants, Patriots have fared.
- Dave Blezow (NY Post) Bet on Big Blue victory.
- Mike Lupica (NY Daily News) Trash-talking Giants like Chris Canty, Jason Pierre-Paul should embrace underdog role as in years past.
- Ralph Vacchiano (NY Daily News) Big-mouthed NY Giants RB Brandon Jacobs insists: Don't call us arrogant, just confident.
- Ralph Vacchiano (NY Daily News) On final day with media before Super Bowl XLVI, Antrel Rolle keeps on talking.
- Paul Schwartz (NY Post) JPP: Giants had Patriots rattled.
- Hank Gola (NY Daily News) Jason Pierre-Paul says NY Giants pass rush is in Tom Brady's head.
- Jenny Vrentas (Star-Ledger) Tom Brady's QB sneak goes up against Giants' stout D-line.
- Michael Eisen (Giants.com) Giants' D-line objective? Get to Brady.
- Manish Mehta (NY Daily News) Slowly but surely, Patriots defense came together to get them in Super Bowl XLVI vs. Giants.
- Ben Shpigel (NY Times) Gronkowski's hands are key to his success.
- Harvey Araton (NY TImes) Danny Woodhead: A big talent in a small package.
- Steve Politi (Star-Ledger) Patriots' Tiquan Underwood helps Rutgers hit Super Bowl in hair-raising fashion.
- Paul Schwartz (NY Post) Giants RB Bradshaw practices again today.
- Justin Terranova (NY Post) Harrison: Ex-Pats mates lying if they say they don't want revenge.
- Dave D'Alessandro (Star-Ledger) Bill Belichick's daughter has followed her father's footsteps ... in lacrosse.