The Patriots are expected to extend an exclusive rights tender to DT Kyle Love today.
Christopher Price thumbnails the 10 biggest questions entering NFL free agency.
4. What’s going to be the course of action for the Patriots? In New England last year, it was either a boom-or-bust with last year’s free agents: the big names (Albert Haynesworth and Chad Ochocinco) were busts, while the middle of the road guys (Andre Carter, Mark Anderson and Brian Waters) were some of the best free-agent signings of the Bill Belichick Era. This year? There are some intriguing fits for this team that wouldn’t break the bank, including Brandon Lloyd and Richard Marshall, while Mike Wallace remains a big-ticket possibility that would also cost them a draft pick.
5. Who will the Patriots lose? New England isn’t necessarily on danger of losing any of its elite players, but there are some intriguing UFA’s on the roster, including wide receiver Deion Branch, running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis, offensive linemen Dan Koppen and Dan Connolly and Anderson and Carter, all of whom have been important pieces of the puzzle over the last few seasons with the Patriots. Anderson figures to be a sought-after commodity: a 28-year-old who finished with 10 sacks, he could be in line for a decent-sized payday.
6. How will the Patriots approach the safety spot? New England will almost certainly be looking to improve the safety position this offseason, but it’s considered a relatively weak crop in the draft. Will this cause them to be more aggressive in free agency? LaRon Landry is certainly an interesting name who has been peripherally attached to the Patriots as a possible fit in New England.
Albert Breer tweeted this about the Patriots' wariness of overspending in the uncapped year,
"When I was at the Globe, covering Brady's contract talks -- Patriots were convinced that dumping a huge number in 2010 would be unwise."
- CSNNE offers an NFL Free Agency Primer.
- Ian Rapoport reports the Patriots are prepared for free agency with a lengthy list of potential targets and a well-planned approached.
- Mike Reiss discusses how unpredictable Bill Belichick and the Patriots are when it comes to spending for free agents.
- Shalise Manza Young wonders what the Patriots will do in free agency, with plenty of cap space and more than a few holes to fill.
- Mike Reiss offers some quick-hit thoughts on the Patriots and their own players who have contracts expiring today at 4 p.m.
- Ian Rapoport looks at five possible non-Patriots targets when free agency begins, on offense and on defense.
- Jeff Howe thinks the Patriots should explore the possibility of trading for Dwight Freeney if he's willing to restructure his contract.
- Tom E. Curran looks at 26-year old Rams RFA Danny Amendola as a player as close to Wes Welker in style as anyone.
- Mike Reiss explains what it means for the Patriots to pick up an additional 1.6 million in salary cap space.
- Tom E. Curran reports BenJarvus Green-Ellis will hit the market Tuesday, and his dependability figures to make him a desirable free agent.
- Nick Underhill presents a look at how the Patriots' backfield will look in 2012, if BenJarvus Green-Ellis walks.
- Mike Reiss reviews the cornerback position and linebacker position, while looking at which free agents might be a fit for the Patriots.
- Tom E. Curran reviews the Patriots at the running back position, and which free agents might fit with the Patriots.
- Tom E. Curran thinks the Pats can handle WR Brandon Lloyd's personality and off-field behavior.
- Jeff Howe reports Josh Barrett and Chris Gronkowski enrolled in the NFL's offseason business program at Harvard.
- Gerry Callahan begs Peyton Manning to pick Miami, and not any of the easier, softer place to play.
- Rich Levine points out that wherever Peyton Manning ends up, the Patriots will play against him in 2012.
- Mike Reiss notes Randy Moss will be with his new team, the 49ers, when they play the Patriots in Foxborough in 2012.
- Mike Reiss reports Bill Belichick worked out three Cornhuskers while in Nebraska, speaking at a coaching clinic. Here's a profile of each player.
- Mike Reiss notes the Patriots were one of four NFL teams represented with scouts at the University of Massachusetts Pro Day in Amherst.
- Jeff Howe reports Kim Kardashian never followed through on her lawsuit against safety Bret Lockett, who is a free agent today.
- CSNNE reports how Peter King says the Rams' blockbuster deal with Washington for RGIII was inspired by the Patriots.
- Andrew Brandt (Nat'l Football Post) Cap-less crackdown: NFL comes down on Redskins, Cowboys.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) Uncapped year could be coming back to haunt some teams.
- Mike Freeman (CBS Sports) Redskins, Cowboys latest to feel wrath of iron-fisted Goodell.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) NFLPA agreed to Cowboys/Redskins salary cap sanctions.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) League explains cap adjustment by pointing to "competitive balance."
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) Cowboys, Redskins say they complied with salary cap in 2010.
- Michael David Smith (ProFootballTalk) In Miami, some doubt Peyton wants to play with Marshall.
- Steve Wyche (NFL.com) No timetable set for punishment in NFL's investigation of Saints.
- Michael Lombardi (NFL.com) Understanding ebb and flow of frenzied free-agent period.
- Pete Prisco (CBS Sports) Want to clean up during free agency? Just follow some simple rules.
- Clark Judge (CBS Sports) Manning over Mario Williams? Not on this free agent board.
- Brian Billick (Fox Sports) Top 50 NFL free agents.
- Vinnie Iyer (Sporting News) 2012 NFL free-agent rankings: Top new 50.
- Mike Wilkening (Pro Football Weekly) Top 100 free agents.
- Eric Edholm (Pro Football Weekly) The first fifteen: Free agency edition.
- Looking for a safety? Landry should top the list. (Nat'l Football Post)
- Bucky Brooks (NFL.com) 2012 All-Free Agency team: Building a roster with available stars.
- Jason La Canfora (NFL.com) 49ers, Moss agree to one-year deal on same day as workout.
- Chris Burke (SI) Can Randy Moss fit in with the 49ers?
- Michael Silver (Yahoo! Sports) Tim Tebow getting shafted with Broncos’ pursuit of Peyton Manning.
- Sam Gardner (Fox Sports) Sanchez's deal reeks of a copout.
- Wes Bunting (Nat'l Football Post) Top post-season risers: Linemen.
- Mike Luca (Cold Hard Football Facts) 2012 NFL Draft: 10 predictions sure to go wrong.
- Russ Lande (Sporting News) NFL Mock Draft. Patriots select OLB Courtney Upshaw (Alabama) and CB Janoris Jenkins (North Alabama).
- Ben Maller (Yahoo! Sports) Rajon Rondo thought of joining NFL. He even talked to Bill Belichick about it.