Patriots vs. Cardinals: Offensive Play Percentages

Taking a look at playing time percentages of Patriots' offensive players from the Patriots 20-18 loss to the Arizona Cardinals, as charted by NFL Media relations:

Name

POS

Snaps

% Played

Ryan Wendell

C

82

100%

Donald Thomas

RG

82

100%

Logan Mankins

LG

82

100%

Nate Solder

LT

82

100%

Brandon Lloyd

WR

82

100%

Tom Brady

QB

82

100%

Rob Gronkowski

TE

81

99%

Julian Edelman

WR

75

91%

Wes Welker

WR

63

77%

Sebastian Vollmer

RT

62

76%

Stevan Ridley

RB

45

55%

Danny Woodhead

RB

35

45%

Marcus Cannon

RT

20

24%

Michael Hoomanawanui

TE

20

24%

Lex Hilliard

FB

4

5%

Aaron Hernandez

TE

3

4%

Thoughts on the playing time percentages after the jump!

What stands out?

  • Julian Edelman started the game in lieu of Wes Welker, and finished the game with a higher play percentage (91% vs. 77%). One can't help but wonder what Welker's snap numbers would have looked like had Aaron Hernandez note gone down with an ankle injury in the first quarter which limited him to just three snaps played.
  • In place of the aforementioned Hernandez, third tight end Michael Hoomanawanui saw a spike in his playing time, checking in with 24% of the team's total snaps.
  • Sebastian Vollmer and Marcus Cannon continue to split snaps at right tackle, with Vollmer playing 76% of the snaps, and Cannon playing the other 24%. It seems like the Patriots are taking it easy on Vollmer as he returns from back surgery, and it will be interesting to see if he returns to 100% participation next week against the Ravens.
  • Also of note on the offensive line: Donald Thomas played in all 82 snaps for the Patriots, with Dan Connolly active but still hindered by a concussion suffered in week one. My question: If Connolly was cleared by doctors to play, then why wasn't he out there?
  • Brandon Lloyd had eight receptions against the Cardinals on Sunday, and his playing time suggests that he's the team's clear-cut number one receiver: he played in all 82 snaps yesterday for the Patriots.
  • Fullback Lex Hilliard got involved with the offense yesterday, playing four snaps and carrying the ball one time for two yards.
  • One notable player who didn't see any snaps on offense: rookie running back Brandon Bolden
X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Join Pats Pulpit

You must be a member of Pats Pulpit to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Pats Pulpit. You should read them.

Join Pats Pulpit

You must be a member of Pats Pulpit to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Pats Pulpit. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9341_tracker