Logan Mankins is one of the top three cap-space-eaters but worth every bite. - Stew Milne-USA TODAY Sports
New England Patriots Daily News and Links for 2/12/13
Patriots Today - Mad about Mesko. (2.11 min. video) Let's just say, "Space Emperor of Space" is a fitting nickname.
- Mike Reiss notes the Patriots were 8th in total payroll, and the 7 teams ahead of them all missed the playoffs.
- Karen Guregian picks three possible franchise-tag targets on the roster and lists the pros and cons of tagging each one: Welker, Vollmer and Talib.
- Nick Underhill notes the numbers say that Aqib Talib may be receiving too much credit for his contributions to the New England defense.
- Field Yates reports Alfonzo Dennard's trial was scheduled to begin Monday in the District Court of Lancaster County, Nebraska.
- Karen Guregian NFL Notebook: Jury selection began yesterday for Alfonzo Dennard's trial; More.
- Luke Hughes lists the Pats' top ten priorities this offseason.
- Greg A. Bedard posts an offseason to-do list for the New England Patriots.
- Field Yates looks at whether Vikings WR Percy Harvin and the Patriots might make a match.
- Christopher Price picks possible free agents who might be a good fit in New England: DL Desmond Bryant (Raiders).
- Field Yates updates us on Brian Waters' status. Unless he chooses to officially retire, the Patriots control his contract.
- Mike Reiss takes a closer look at some draft prospects from a Pats perspective: CB Desmond Trufant (Washington).
- The Boston Globe posts some pics of Vince Wilfork "tackling" the shoveling duties during the snowstorm over the weekend.
- John Harris (Yahoo! Sports) Time for Patriots to find Tom Brady some explosive, young receivers in the draft.
- John Clayton (ESPN) Big spending, subpar results.
- Leslie Reed (Omaha World-Herald) Jury selected in trial for ex-Husker Dennard.
- James Walker (ESPN) Top AFC East offseason storylines.
- Peter King (SI) MMQB: The clock's ticking on Ravens, Flacco to get a deal done.
- NFL Live (ESPN) Bruschi: Time for Gronk to settle down. Et tu Bruschi?
- Darin Gantt (ProFootballTalk) Former Pats wideout David Patten lands coaching job.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) Harvin is expected to hold out under current deal.
- Dan Hanzus (NFL.com) Five potential landing spots for Percy Harvin.
- Clark Judge (CBS Sports) Trade Percy Harvin? Maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) Widening field isn't on Competition Committee's agenda.
- Aaron Schatz (Football Outsiders) 2012 Football Outsiders Awards.
- Joe Fortenbaugh (Nat'l Football Post) 10 things we want to see in 2013 from the legalization of sports betting to a blizzard during the Super Bowl.
- Curtis Crabtree (ProFootballTalk) NFL planning contingencies for weather issues at Super Bowl.
- Tony Villiotti (Nat'l Football Post) The Combine chronicles: Quarterback - Defensive End.
- Rob Rang and Dane Brugler (CBS Sports) 2013 Mock Drafts. Pats pick S Matt Elam (Florida) or WR Tavon Austin (West Virginia) at No. 29.
- Russ Lande (Nat'l Football Post) NFP Mock Draft - Version 6.0. Patriots select DE Margus Hunt (SMU).