Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
New England Patriots Daily News and Links for 2/19/13
- Andy Hart wrestles with whether the Patriots should tag Welker, Vollmer or Talib.
- Patriots Today - Dane Fletcher outside the helmet. (1.54 min. video)
- Patriots Roster Report - This edition looks at the Patriots safety position and free agents available that could give that position a boost. (15 min. program)
- Jeff Howe expects the Patriots to stay quiet for a while before tagging a player. Teams have until March 4th to apply either the franchise or transition tag.
- Tom E. Curran would be surprised if the Patriots would use the franchise tag at all. (2 min. video)
- Christopher Price explains why the whole league is watching the Wes Welker contract situation.
- Karen Guregian wonders which player the Patriots will tag, Vollmer or Talib.
- Ron Borges believes Aqib Talib is the best choice for the Patriots to tag, and to take care of the secondary first.
- Mike Reiss notes the Patriots rank 4th in their use of the franchise tag.
- Jeff Howe posts the breakdown of tentative franchise tag numbers in 2013 for each position.
- Christopher Price forecasts how the Patriots will approach their key free agents.
- Luke Hughes sees RT Gosder Cherilus (Lions) as a potential free agent fit for the Patriots if Sebastian Vollmer leaves New England.
- Mike Reiss cleans out his football notebook after the long weekend.
- Mike Reiss shares what he learned about the 2013 draft from Mike Mayock's Monday conference call, and puts his own Patriots twist on things.
- Field Yates asked NFLN draft analyst Mike Mayock for his take on the 29th pick in the draft and how the Patriots might approach it.
- Christopher Price says Mike Mayock thinks DB Xavier Rhodes (Florida State) and WR Terrance Williams (Baylor) could be possible fits in New England.
- Field Yates looks at each team in the NFL and the number of draft picks they currently own, highlighting how the Pats rank close to the bottom.
- Mike Reiss follows up with the total draft picks made per season in the Bill Belichick era.
- Mike Reiss serves up a few leftovers from his weekly Patriots chat.
- Zuri Berry says Alfonzo Dennard could really put the Patriots in a bind.
- Shalise Manza Young reports former Patriots LB Pierre Woods, now 31, took part in a regional combine Sunday, hoping for another chance in the NFL.
- Shalise Manza Young Patriots Notebook: Feb. 18 - March 4 teams are able to designate a franchise player for the 2013 season; Patriots have 3 potential players to tag; Alfonzo Dennard's trial will go to the jury after today's closing arguments.
- Chris Burke (SI) Is Wes Welker done in New England?
- Nate Davis (USA Today) Franchise time: 20 players who might be tagged.
- James Walker (ESPN) Examining AFC East strength of schedules.
- Staff Report (ESPN) 2013 NFL Combiine schedule.
- Peter Schrager (Fox Sports) What to know about the 2013 Combine.
- John Clayton (ESPN) Combine preview: QBs adn Te'o have much to prove.
- Albert Breer (NFL.com) NFL Scouting Combine's evolution raises questions about future.
- Darin Gantt (ProFootballTalk) NFL thinking about turning Combine into a longer process.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) New Combine test is aimed at leveling the playing field.
- Peter King (SI) MMQB: As Combine hype machine revs up, two players have lots at stake.
- Rob Rang (CBS Sports) 2013 Combine: Te'o, Minter, Alonso highlight boom or bust ILB class.
- Russ Lande (Nat'l Football Post) Top 200 prospects for the 2013 NFL Draft.