With Brady, it's always been about the team - Jared Wickerham
New England Patriots Daily News and Links for 2/26/13
- Andy Hart assesses the linebackers at the Combine.
- Paul Perillo finds cornerback is another deep and talented position in the draft, but also one that has not been kind to the Patriots in recent years.
- Andy Hart says that if the Patriots look to the safety position in the draft for the second year in a row there will be plenty of talent to pull from.
- Mike Reiss reports Tom Brady's team-friendly deal backs up what he's always said: It's about winning.
- Chad Finn points out how Brady's decision benefits the team as well as his own quest for another championship.
- Karen Guregian reports that the Brady deal gives the Pats more wiggle room to sign their own free agents and perhaps a couple outside the team if needed.
- Gerry Callahan calls these the good old days in New England, and they've just been extended through 2017.
- Greg A. Bedard tells us what Brady's extension means.
- Shalise Manza Young writes Brady will be able to do what he has always wanted to do: play football until he's 40 and never have to change uniforms.
- Paul Kenyon states Tom Brady is giving the team a bargain, as he could command much more on the open market regardless of his age.
- Tom E. Curran notes Brady is providing immediate cap relief to help the team shop in what is expected to be a flooded free agent market.
- Mark Farinella says Tom Brady's restructured contract will help keep the team atop the AFC East and in the fight for a title.
- Rich Levine ties in Brady's recent deal on property in Chestnut Hill to his new contract, and offers three quick thoughts.
- Ron Borges thinks we should call off the cries for Brady sainthood, because his new contract is fully guaranteed and he's still getting paid.
- Matt Pepin posts some Patriots' player reactions to Brady's new contract.
- Greg A. Bedard offers a position-by-position look at the Patriots offseason landscape, before what should be a busy free agency period.
- Jeff Howe reports sources say Wes Welker and the Patriots are discussing a contract, but nothing appears imminent.
- Jeff Howe reports Rob Gronkowski had a third surgery on his broken left arm last week, this one to cure an infection. He is still expected to be ready for camp.
- Ron Borges explains, with plenty of snark, why the Combine is an exercise in stupidity.
- Peter King (SI) Tom Brady, New England Patriots agree on three-year extension.
- Michael David Smith (ProFootballTalk) Patriots, Tom Brady agree to three-year, $27 million extension.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) All eyes on details in Brady's deal.
- Les Carpenter (Yahoo! Sports) Tom Brady puts Patriots in position to keep winning for years to come.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) "Less money" for Brady in the future could get others to take "less money" now.
- Monte Burke (Forbes) Hey Joe Flacco, did you see Tom Brady's new contract extension?
- Gregg Rosenthal (NFL.com) Tom Brady contract fallout: It shouldn't hurt Joe Flacco.
- Michael David Smith (ProFootballTalk) Patriots, Wes Welker may still work out a long-term deal.
- Dan Hanzus (NFL.com) Can Wes Welker, New England Patriots reach new deal?
- Dan Hanzus (NFL.com) Report: Rob Gronkowski has surgery on infected arm.
- Peter King (SI) MMQB: Meet the strangers that top this year's draft; more from combine.
- Russ Lande (Nat'l Football Post) Players who shined Monday at Combine - and players who didn't.