Danny Woodhead: Little man, big plays. - Jamie McDonald
New England Patriots Daily News and Links for 3/05/13
- Andy Hart talks about the Patriots' decision to not use the franchise tag, and what it means going forward.
- The New England Patriots announced that they have released OL Kyle Hix and FB Spencer Larsen.
- Patriots Football Weekly offers its annual list position-by-position, of the biggest names who could be available when free agency starts on March 12.
- The PFW staff helps us get to know Devin McCourty in this edition of 'Inside the Helmet'.
- Patriots Today - Arrington under the helmet. (1.52 min. video)
- Patriots Roster Report - The crew discuses the restructuring of QB Tom Brady's contract, the franchise tag and more. (13.32 min. program)
- Karen Guregian looks at the options the Patriots have to bring back their key free agents or upgrade, now that they've nixed using the tag.
- Christopher Price shares five (mostly) Patriots-related thoughts as the NFL’s tagging period came to an end Monday afternoon.
- Shalise Manza Young and Greg A. Bedard report the Patriots declined to use a franchise tag, but long term deals may be in the works for their top free agents.
- Mike Reiss looks at what's next for the Patriots, after the tag deadline passes.
- Greg A. Bedard shares some thoughts on the Patriots not using the tag: Wes Welker still stands best chance to land a deal before free agency starts.
- Mike Reiss writes that the timing seems to be right for Wes Welker and the Patriots to make a deal.
- Ron Borges says the Patriots took a risk in not using the tag, and are banking on the "emotional weakness" and "heavy baggage" of Welker, Vollmer and Talib to re-sign with New England.
- Tom E. Curran explores whether the lack of tags around the NFL was a blip or a trend.
- Paul Kenyon tells us why the Patriots did not use the franchise tag this year, and why only eight teams did.
- Field Yates reviews the Patriots free agents beyond the Big 3: Julian Edelman and Danny Woodhead.
- Karen Guregian notes Ed Reed believes the Pats would have won two more Super Bowls with him.
- Rich Levine thinks Robert Kraft should have just ignored the noise.
- WEEI scouts potential Patriots in this year's draft: FS/CB D.J. Swearinger (South Carolina), DE Cornellius Carradine (Florida State), CB Tharold Simon (LSU) and DE Sharrif Floyd (Florida).
- Jason Cole (Yahoo! Sports) Wes Welker risks legacy if he leaves Patriots.
- Mike Garafolo (USA Today) With Welker deal close, Patriots pass on franchise tag.
- Doug Tozier (Football Nation) New England Patriots: 5 biggest needs of 2013 offseason.
- Josh Alper (ProFootballTalk) Patriots don't use franchise tag for first time since 2008.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) 13 fewer tags than last year.
- Michael David Smith (ProFootballTalk) Only eight teams use the franchise tag.
- Tony Villiotti (Nat'l Footbal Post) 2013 Free agency: Setting the stage.
- Pete Prisco (CBS Sports) No big-name vets atop list of top free agents, and that's by design.
- Elliot Harrison (NFL.com) NFL free agency has empowered players but ruined rivalries.
- Chris Burke (SI) Contract Killers: Who hurt their free agent value in 2012?
- Marc Sessler (NFL.com) Free agency primer: Ranking the wide receivers.
- Joe Fortenbaugh (Nat'l Football Post) Let's play the realignment game!
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) Anyone (yes, anyone) can try out for the NFL.