Tippett Among 17 Hall Finalists
Former LB Could be 4th Patriot Elected
From the NFL:
Joining the two first-year eligible players, are 12 other modern-era players, one contributor and two players nominated earlier by the Hall of Fame's Senior Committee. The contributor finalist is former National Football League Commissioner Paul Tagliabue. The Senior Committee nominees, announced in August 2007, are Chicago Cardinals back Marshall Goldberg and Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Emmitt Thomas. Here is the player list:
- Cris Carter - Wide Receiver - 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins
- Fred Dean - Defensive End - 1975-1981 San Diego Chargers, 1981-85 San Francisco 49ers
- Richard Dent - Defensive End - 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles
- Marshall Goldberg - Back - 1939-1943, 1946-48 Chicago Cardinals
- Randy Gradishar - Linebacker - 1974-1983 Denver Broncos
- Darrell Green - Cornerback - 1983-2002 Washington Redskins
- Russ Grimm - Guard - 1981-1991 Washington Redskins
- Ray Guy - Punter - 1973-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
- Bob Kuechenberg - Guard - 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins
- Randall McDaniel - Guard - 1988-1999 Minnesota Vikings, 2000-2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Art Monk - Wide Receiver - 1980-1993 Washington Redskins, 1994 New York Jets, 1995 Philadelphia Eagles
- Andre Reed - Wide Receiver - 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins
- Paul Tagliabue - Commissioner - 1989-2006 National Football League
- Derrick Thomas - Linebacker - 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs
- Emmitt Thomas - Cornerback - 1966-1978 Kansas City Chiefs
- Andre Tippett - Linebacker - 1982-1993 New England Patriots
- Gary Zimmerman - Tackle - 1986-1992 Minnesota Vikings, 1993-97 Denver Broncos
Tippett, a repeat finalist who has been eligible for 10 years, is one of nine of the current finalists to spend his entire career with just one team.
Tippett could be the 17th, 18th or 19th modern-era (post-1946) linebacker in the Hall of Fame. He would join joining Bobby Bell (also DE), Nick Buoniconti, Dick Butkus, Harry Carson, George Connor (also DT and OT), Bill George, Jack Ham, Ted Hendricks, Sam Huff, Jack Lambert, Willie Lanier, Ray Nitschke, Joe Schmidt, Mike Singletary, Lawrence Taylor, and Dave Wilcox and possibly Gradishar and/or Derrick Thomas.
Here are Tippett's vitals:
- Linebacker .. 6-3, 240 .. Iowa; Ellsworth (IA) Junior College ..
- 1982-1993 New England Patriots .. 11 seasons, 151 games ..
- Selected in the second round (41st player overall) 1982 NFL Draft ..
- Used primarily on special teams in strike-shortened rookie season .. Earned starter's role following season ..
- In 1984 established team record 18.5 sacks and earned first of five consecutive (1985-89) Pro Bowl selections ..
- Was a factor in team's success that led to first Super Bowl (SB XX) appearance .. That season (1985) led AFC with 16.5 sacks (2nd in NFL), had three forced fumbles, recovered three fumbles, returned one for a 25-yard TD, earning AFC Defensive Player of the Year honors ..
- Began 1986 season with 9.5 sacks before injury sidelined him for five games following surgery .. Returned for final two games of season and one postseason game .. Even in shortened season, still earned Pro Bowl, All-AFC, and All-Pro second team honors ..
- In 1987 had AFC-leading 12.5 sacks, team-best three fumble recoveries (one returned for TD), blocked a field goal that was returned by teammate for 71-yard TD ..
- Missed four games in 1988 and entire 1989 season due to injuries .. Remained a dominant player through final four seasons ..
- At time of retirement, his 100 career sacks, 18.5 sacks in a season, 17 opponent fumbles recovered were team bests ..
- Named to NFL's All-Decade Team of the 1980s ..
- Born December 27, 1959 in Birmingham, Alabama.
Nick Buoniconti, John Hannah, and Mike Haynes are the other three Patriots in the Hall of Fame.
Should Andre Tippett be elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame
This poll is closed
Are you kidding? It's long overdue!
Not ahead of some of the other finalists.
Meh. I'm not convinced.