Tippett Elected to Hall of Fame
Former LB Is 4th Patriot in Canton
After 10 years of eligibility, New England Patriots linebacker Andre Tippett has been elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
The 2008 Class of Pro Football Hall of Fame inductees are:
- Fred Dean, defensive end, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49ers
- Darrell Green, cornerback, Washington Redskins
- Art Monk, wide receiver, Washington Redskins
- Emmitt Thomas, cornerback, Kansas City Chiefs
- Andre Tippett, linebacker, New England Patriots
- Gary Zimmerman, offensive tackle, Denver Broncos, Minnesota Vikings
Tippett will be inducted on August 5.
Finalists who were not elected were:
- Cris Carter
- Richard Dent
- Bob Kuechenberg
- Randall McDaniel
- Derrick Thomas
Tippett was at the Patriots hotel in Glendale, Ariz., as they prepare for Super Bowl XLII when the announcement was made on NFL Network shortly after 4:30 p.m. He finally made it to the conference room where the announcement was made shortly before 6 p.m.
Tippett said that he spoke with Patriots owner Robert Kraft before leaving the hotel for the press conference. "He told me today is your day," Tippett said of Kraft, who assured the former linebacker that he would always be loved by the franchise.