Bill Belichick talks about the pass rush on Sunday.
"If there was an order in the chain reaction, it would have started with the Broncos’ quick and short passing attack, then the coverage, then the pass rush. In other words, it’s all connected,’’ he said.
"Pass defense is all inter-related. It’s all about the timing of the coordination between the coverage and the rush. So if the receivers are covered and the quarterback has to hold the ball, then your pass rush has a chance to get there. If they’re not covered, then it doesn’t make any difference, they don’t have to block anybody, the ball’s already gone. It’s all about timing.’’
"There wasn’t a lot of time when [Orton] was standing back there holding the ball. There were times when we were getting to him but the ball was out of there.
Ron Borges actually makes sense when evaluating Tom Brady's performance Sunday:
The simplistic way to explain this loss is to blame Tom Brady, who did not have a good day throwing the ball. When your offense not only fails to score in the final 30 minutes but fails to convert a single third down (0-for-6) it is obviously a dreadful day, and so there is responsibility to be accepted for what went on.
Yet Brady’s inconsistency is to be expected because every quarterback who came back from major ACL surgery has followed this same up-and-down pattern in the early games of the new season, so deal with it, people. That’s not an excuse, it’s just reality.
- Erik Scalavino Mayo's return a silver lining in loss; Monday news and notes.
- Ask PFW: Part I - Brady Bashing addressed and more.
- Ask PFW: Part II - Trades, schedules, players and more.
- WEEI Tom Brady (23.34min.), Vince Wilfork (10.35 min.), Sammy Morris (10.20 min.), Chris Baker (4.50 min.) and Bill Belichick (34.28 min.) Monday:
Patriots Today: A defeat in the Mile High city. (12.40 min. video)
- Monique Walker focuses on the inconsistency of the offense which operated with efficiency in the first half but looked confused and out of sync in the second.
- Christopher Price notes Sammy Morris is positive about the offense's problems being fixable. "I think we’ll work on those things and kind of right the ship," Morris said.
- Karen Guregian looks at the numbers and boldly declares that Brady has been off. Gee, good thing she had the stats to back it up because otherwise no one would believe it.
- Christopher Price takes one final review of Patriots-Broncos before moving on to the Titans. Wilfork had a great game, Mankins did not. Patriots probably should have kept Gaffney, it might have saved everyone a lot of headaches - including Brady and Galloway.
- Mark Farinella offers his Hots, Nots and game notes from Sunday.
- Mike Reiss offers the snaps played by defensive players, snaps played by offensive skill position players and offensive positional groupings vs. Broncos.
- Chris Gasper notes the Patriots either have to take better advantage of the attention being paid to Moss or find a way to get him the ball.
- Ian Rapoport reports the Patriots defense is very aware that they have to improve their tackling techniques and effectiveness.
- WEEI offers the Transcripts from Bill Belichick's Q&A on The Big Show yesterday, and Tom Brady's Q&A with Dennis & Callahan.
- Ron Borges grades the Patriots in his weekly Report Card.
- Boston Globe Patriots Notebook: No update yet on the right knee injury sustained by Matt Light Sunday after teammate Dan Koppen rolled into him; Belichick talks about the pass rush; Leigh Bodden admits he has to tackle better; Gostkowski isn't stressed over the missed FG kick, he's just going to keep working hard.
- Mark Farinella notes that this Sunday will be another AFL Legacy game, pitting the Boston Patriots against the Houston Oilers (Tennessee Titans). Farinella, along with many fans, has no love for the throwbacks.
- Judy Battista (NY Times) To beat Patriots, Broncos made all the right moves.
- Jeff Legwold (Denver Post) Breakdown: Pats fail to adjust.
- Peter King (SI) MMQB: Broncos, Bengals open some eyes with impressive Week 5 wins.
- Andrew Perloff (SI) Thoughts on Tom Brady, retread coaches and more from week 5.
- Don Banks (SI) Snap Judgments: The surprising Bengals, Ravens problems and more.
- Pro Football Weekly Titans unlikely to capture '08 magic.