Mike Reiss notes Kevin Faulk is one of only three players on the roster who has been part of every Training Camp since Belichick was named coach in 2000.
Asked what has made this camp as hard as it has been, Faulk said, "It’s the demand of what [Belichick] wants. He’s striving for perfection, knowing that it’s probably not going to happen, but why not shoot for it?
"Everyone knows we have talent on this team. At the same time, you have to bring all that talent together, to make one big talent. That’s the team we’re striving for. I think we’re responding, but, at the same time, it ain’t over.’’
Karen Guregian points out Jerod Mayo as being the man in the middle, saying he could be even more of a monster on defense than last season.
"I came into the year expecting to have more on my plate as far as making the checks and making the calls," Mayo said. "Last year, we had (Mike) Vrabel, and Bruschi and Adalius (Thomase) and all those guys that were in the system for a long time make the calls, and I was just out there listening to what they had to say. This year, I kind of took it on my shoulders to help the younger guys and even some of the older guys. We’re all learning new things out there."
Christopher Price offers this tantalizing tidbit from yesterday afternoon's practice.
Toward the end of practice, the Patriots unveiled a new offensive wrinkle. We would love to reveal more, but rules (specifically, rule No. 1 in the "General Media Training Camp Policy" that states, "Please do not report on offensive or defensive strategy. This includes describing formations, personnel groups or non-conventional plays.") prevent us from saying any more.
WHAT WAS IT???
TRAINING CAMP OBSERVATIONS
- Paul Perillo offers his Monday afternoon notes, saying full pads continued despite oppressive conditions. Mayo is a beast, overpowering everyone who tries to stop him; The Brady-Galloway connections have dramatically improved.
- Mike Reiss reports the offensive and defensive linemen were really banging in this practice, and notes the strong chemistry built between Matt Light and Logan Mankins allowed no defenders to get past them.
- Erik Scalavino notes Welker’s extended absence is a bit of an eyebrow-raiser at this point, as is the sudden disappearance of Morris – the latter particularly so in light of the signing today of free agent running back Chris Taylor.
- Ian Rapoport observes "CB Shawn Springs returned to practice after being gone since… Forever. While he was stretching, Belichick walked by, shook his hand, and appeared to be introducing himself and laugh. Good times…"
- Patriots host Bengals in preseason home opener. Details, Broadcast info, series history, team connections here.
- Bill Belichick Monday Press Conference Transcript plus 19 min. video.
- Patriots Today: Feeling the heat, Bruschi in action, and more from Training Camp. (9.04 min. video)
Locker Room Uncut: Mankins, Mayo and more. (3.30 min. video)
- Paul Kenyon notices that this year's crop of Rookies are making good impressions at camp.
- Karen Guregian observes how the Bill Belichick player pipeline again flows west.
- Christopher Price says Jerod Mayo certainly looked natural directing traffic in last Thursday’s preseason opener against the Eagles. He's a true leader on Defense.
- Mike Petraglia notes newly signed RB Chris Taylor is now compteting for a spot with BenJarvus Green-Ellis, who was the best man in his wedding a month ago.
- Christopher Price offers Belichick's philosophy that the more running backs at camp the better.
- Bob Ryan points out that it's Michael Vick's talent that earned him his second chance with the Eagles. An ordinary nickel back would have been released from prison and immediately forgotten.
- Mike Reiss introduces us to RB Chris Taylor and analyzes the Le Kevin Smith trade to Denver.
- Mike Reiss looks back at the 2007 Draft. Where have all the draft picks gone?
- Mark Farinella says Logan Mankins was more embarrassed than anything else about his heat collapse.
- Ian Rapoport discusses safety at training camp, noting C Dan Koppen can lose as much as 7-10 pounds of water weight after practices.
- Mike Reiss Patriots Notebook: The Le Kevin Smith trade to the Broncos; the signing of RB Chris Taylor; Mayo prepared to wear the communication helmet.
Mike McDermott talks about the Stupid Coaching Tricks in the Bay Area.
- NFL Network The top ten plays from the preseason action over the weekend. Julian Edelman's punt return for a touchdown makes number one.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Belichick not afraid to deal with ex-Patriots.
- Michael Lombardi (Nat'l Football Post) A look at Blue-chip players in the AFC East.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) AFC East Mailbag.
- Brady Biggs (Nat'l Football Post) No comment from Raiders' Cable about his assault on Raiders' assistant coach Randy Hanson.
- Mike Florio (Pro Football Talk) Facts continue to emerge regarding Cable-Hanson incident.
- Judy Battista (NY Times) Jets' DE Shaun Ellis suspended for season opener for violating NFL drug policy.