They [Moss, Brady, other WRs] talk a lot about different techniques and how a certain defender plays and how to play against him – those types of things. Again, I think that was reflected last year when Randy was elected captain, not because of his playing ability, but because of his leadership and the way he interacts with his teammates and supports [them] — not just the receivers but also the defenders. They talk about it, too. They have a good working relationship with each other about, "This is what I’m trying to do to you and this is how I’m trying to defeat it,’ and help each other get better and ultimately that helps them get better. If our receiver tells our defensive back, ‘Hey, this is what you’re doing that’s giving me trouble or what you’re doing is making it easy for me,’ and the player can improve on the other side of the ball, ultimately, it improves him. It’s a healthy relationship and it’s one that we try to encourage. I think we get a lot out of them. Players are good about that. They are good about helping the younger players, but they’re also good about working with each other on different strengths and weaknesses and techniques that can be beneficial to our team.
Karen Guregian notes Vince Wilfork isn't buying what Kraft and the Patriots are selling regarding contract extensions and the uncertain in the leagues labor situation.
"I see both sides. I can truly sit here and say, ‘I see where the organization is coming from,’ but at the same time, they see what I’m seeing: Other teams are getting deals done, also. But they might not have situations like we have, where we have a bunch of top-notch players that’s up. So, for that reason . . . they’re probably in a little awkward situation. But at the same time, the whole NFL is."
The Bill Belichick disciple was rockin’ his old coach’s dress code. Hey, if you learn football things from a guy, it makes sense you learn other stuff. Obviously, I needed to get to the bottom of this.
Today, I asked Belichick, Did you offer McDaniels fashion advice?
"Yeah, we spent a lot of time on that," he deadpanned, trying not to laugh.
I told him I noticed McDaniel’s sleeves were rolled, not cut.
"Yeah, he’s probably trying to make his own statement then," Belichick quipped, now laughing out loud.
Glad I asked...
- Erik Scalavino reports Belichick found a few positives in the team's loss to the Bengals the morning after.
- Bill Belichick Press Conference from Sunday, Transcript plus 15 min. video.
- Patriots released TE Tyson DeVree on Sunday.
- Patriots Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. (38 min. video) Bob Kraft does right by the veterans of old.
- Patriots Today: Pats-Bengals, HOF induction and more. (13.41 min. video)
Belichick Breakdown: Relive the 2008 season with this memorable Bill Belichick breakdown showcasing the New England Patriots game against the Miami Dolphins on November 23, 2008. (9.17 min. video)
- Karen Guregian reports that Tom Brady was responsible for the big Bengals hit that blasted him, not Nick Kaczur. Just a miscommunication.
- Chris Gasper notes Vince Wilfork is "pretty frustrated" with his contract situation.
- Shalise Manza Young focuses on rookie DL Myron Pryor, earning praise from Belichick and still getting into game shape.
- Jeff Howe reports Pats' Defensive Linemen are excited about the 4-3 and confident in their abilities.
- Christopher Price elaborates on Randy Moss's role as mentor to the wide receivers and defensive backs.
- Shalise Manza Young points out that QB Kevin O'Connell was ready when Brian Hoyer went down.
- Julian Benbow says Terrence Wheatley is trying to become a sharper corner.
- Mike Reiss has gathered lots of good info and insight on his blog as always. Check it out.
- Karen Guregian Patriots Notebook: Moss praised by Belichick, teammates; Watson missed another practice with undisclosed injury; the TE battle; Wilfork on playing 4-3; Kaczur close to new deal; notable absences from practice.
- Mike Reiss and Chris Gasper Patriots Notebook: Team comes to Kaczur about extension.
- Jeff Howe notes Belichick says Brady's work ethic is "like Tiger Woods."
- Ron Borges emerges from his cave to inform us that Brady hasn't looked right all summer, has psychological issues related to his knee, and avoided the media post-game because of it. Good thing Dr. Borges is on call.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Three and Out: Patriots. Tom Brady's performance should be easing Patriot Nation's anxiety; Don't count Laurence Maroney out; Tedy Bruschi could have trouble making the team.
- Weekend Notes: Attacking Brady. (Nat'l Football Post)
- Matt Bowen (Nat'l Football Post) Why the film doesn't lie: What Brady, Cutler and others put on tape this preseason.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Thoughts from Patriots-Bengals exhibition game.
- Peter King (SI) MMQB: No lack of drama as season nears. Brady got hit too much against Bengals.
- Matt Bowen (Nat'l Football Post) Do preseason games matter? There's a purpose to playing in August.