David White (San Francisco Chronicle) The Derrick Burgess to NE trade: "No, the Raiders are not a minor-league farm team for the Patriots. It just may seem that way after their latest coast-to-coast swap."
That ends a nine-day camp boycott by Burgess, who joins Randy Moss, LaMont Jordan and Andrew Walter as players who grumbled their way out of Oakland to New England since 2007.
"Anytime you have a talent like Burgess that commands the respect and double teams that he did, it's definitely a huge loss," Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha said at training camp in Napa.
"He was able to get guys to rally around the way he played the game."
"I thought coach Belichick was like a tough guy, real stringent, army-like and all that," said New England Patriots wide receiver Greg Lewis, who was acquired through an offseason trade with the Philadelphia Eagles. "But being here and being around him, really he is just passionate about football, and he wants to get the best out of his players. He really doesn’t take any nonsense, but he is willing to work with you, and is lenient and willing to get to know you once you get to know him. He is a good coach to play for."
At this point Belichick would seem to have options with his depth chart. Go with the known commodities, new faces or a mix of the two? Either way, theoretically, the Patriots win. If the young guys play their way not only onto the roster but also into contributing roles for the 2009 team, it'll be because they earned it. If they don't, New England returns impressive top-end talent and experienced backups on both sides of the line of scrimmage that's worked cohesively with impressive results for years.
Continuity is good. Fresh blood is good. A combination of the two may be even better. It's a win-win situation for a team expected to do a lot of that this fall.
TRAINING CAMP OBSERVATIONS
Wes Welker being pursued by Pat Chung at Thursday night's practice inside Gillette Stadium.
- Christopher Price presents his notes from Thursday morning's camp, noting this is the second practice in a row where Brady hasn't worn his knee brace.
- Paul Perillo recaps Thursday morning camp, catches up with under-the-radar acquisition S Brandon McGowan and much more news and bits from the day.
- Ian Rapoport has his thoughts from Thursday's a.m. session.
- Mike Reiss gives his general impression of morning camp and a few more details for the night practice in Gillette. More special teams work with the NFL officials present.
- Erik Scalavino offers plenty of quick hits from Thursday night's under the lights practice.
- Patriots Today: Nick Caserio's roles; Vinny Ciurciu one-on-one; recap of day 8 camp and more. (10.47 min. video)
- Belichick Breakdown: Belichick breaks down the 2008 game against St. Louis with Mike Lynch. (4.32 min. video)
- Tentative Training Camp Schedule for the next five days. Remember to check the site right before you go.
Christopher Price deconstructed Derrick Burgess with a handful of football insiders who talked about what kind of impact he could have on the New England defense back in May. Here, he breaks down the Burgess deal that took place yesterday.
- Chris Gasper says pre-season injuries made the Patriots pull the trigger on the Burgess deal.
- Ian Rapoport reports the Patriots have found their pass rusher.
- Shalise Manza Young notes the Patriots had competition from the Eagles for Burgess but made the better offer.
- Mike Reiss reveals who were named as Patriots pre-season captains.
- Jeff Howe details the Patriots crowded backfield at Camp.
- Chris Gasper Patriots Notebook: Pre-season captain Jerod Mayo a leader on defense; Edelman grew up a Brady fan but now Welker is his role model; Logan Mankins knows keeping Brady upright and out of harm’s way is vital.
- Ian Rapoport showcases the the dual roles of Nick Caserio - front-office suit, and active, hands-on coaching assistant helping out wherever needed on-field.
- Chris Gasper says Nick Caserio has become a valuable - and versatile resource.
- Christopher Price says according to Patriots’ Director of Player Personnel Nick Caserio, the team and nose tackle Vince Wilfork’s representatives are still talking about a contract extension.
- Mike McDermott presents Nick Caserio's Press Conference transcript.
Christopher Price says CB Leigh Bodden's time with the Browns under Romeo Crennel has helped him in training camp.
- Ron Borges details LB Paris Lenon's journey to the NE Patriots and his confidence in what he has to offer.
- Ron Borges talks about how Eli Manning's deal impacts Tom Brady and the Patriots. The next negotiations will be interesting.
- Mike McDermott offers some news and bits from around the NFL: Fans in Denver booing the Broncos; Michael Crabtree might skip the entire 2009 season; worries about the uncertainty of the 2011season.