As is normally the case, most of the players who have been missing recently were present for the walkthrough, including Richard Seymour, Tedy Bruschi, Shawn Crable, Ty Warren and Benjamin Watson.
Andy Hart reports the players were given Friday afternoon and Saturday off,and notes it came as a pleasant surprise to the players.
After what he deemed a "productive week," Belichick thought his team was ready for a break. At the same time, he and his staff will use players’ day off to "re-calibrate" where they’re at in this still very early point in the team-building process.
"This is new to me, getting time off from training camp. It’s pretty cool, but I mean it’s not a time to get away and just cut loose," WR Greg Lewis said. "The time is given to get your body back, get mentally prepared for what’s coming up for us and to hone in on the skills and the stuff that you’ve learned so far. And try to bring it back to you when we come back."
After the workout, Stephen Gostkowski, Pierre Woods and Vince Wilfork all talked to the media about a variety of topics. Woods addressed the acquistion of new linebacker Derrick Burgess, while Wilfork talked about his contract situation and the birth of his new baby boy, David. ("He’s going to be a golfer," Wilfork joked.)
- Ian Rapoport says very little happened at practice this morning, Burgess was not present.
- Christopher Price presents the transcript of Vince Wilfork's Q & A following practice.
Patriots.com presents Bill Belichick's Friday Press Conference. (18.02 min. video)
- Mike Reiss offers a Derrick Burgess perspective, Today's Press Conference nuggets: Belichick's comments on Burgess, and the 2006 Belichick - Burgess Pro-Bowl connection.
- Mark Farinella focuses on Brandon Meriweather, ready to step up in the absence of "Hot Rod."
- Mike Florio (Pro Football Talk) Handicapping the AFC playoff picture.