Ian Rapoport says the running game will be key against Rex Ryan's blitzing ways.
"We definitely got to make sure the running game is present," Maroney said yesterday. "If the running game is doing its thing, I think they’re going to shy away from a lot of blitzes and the things they want to do."
One way to stop a team from coming after quarterback Tom Brady is to make them respect a balanced attack. The Jets may not be able to blitz with such abandon if they’re trying to corral Maroney, Fred Taylor and company.
[Maroney] knows pass-blocking may be key. He may have to fend off a hard-charging blitzer or two. He’s ready for that, as well.
"That’s what they make shoulder pads and helmets for," Maroney said. "There’s going to be a lot of 1-on-1s, a lot of open zones to work if we can pick up and stand up to the blitz. We can make big plays on them."
Jeff Howe reports on Rex Ryan's thoughts on the Randy Moss - Darelle Revis matchup Sunday.
Astronomically confident Jets head coach Rex Ryan likes Revis' chances against Moss, and Ryan went so far as to call the 2007 first-round draft pick the best cornerback in the NFL.
"I think everybody knows [Revis] is going to match up on Moss," Ryan said. "There are probably easier jobs than to play corner against [Johnson and Moss], but we're lucky to have a young man that I think is the best corner in the league. And that doesn't mean that Randy Moss won't catch any balls, because he caught 12 last week against a pretty good corner. The thing that's scary with Randy Moss is that some times with him when he's covered, he's still open because he's such a great athlete. In my opinion, he's one of the all-time great vertical receivers in the game. So this is going to be a great challenge to Revis, but it will also be a great challenge to Randy Moss as well."
- Erik Scalavino offers some news, notes and quotes from Thursday's practice.
- Patriots-Jets Injury Report.
Patriots Today: Breaking down Rex Ryan and the Jets. (8.24 min. video)
- Shalise Manza Young mentions the fates of past rookie QBs who have faced a Bill Belichick coached team.
- Gerry Callahan addresses the heaping plate of trash-talking dished up by Kerry Rhodes and Rex Ryan.
- Monique Walker focuses on the versatility of LB Adalius Thomas, who says "As long as I'm on the field I'm good. You could put me back there in a referee suit."
- Julian Benbow captures Laurence Maroney's reaction to the Jets' trash-talking, "It's going to be a physical game, and we've got to be ready for it all 60 minutes."
- Jeff Howe notes this will be the 100th matchup between the Jets-Patriots, with Sunday's game breaking the 49-49-1 tie between them. As if we need more hype.
- Jim Donaldson says the Patriots need to find offensive balance to protect Brady.
- Chris Gasper reports LB Junior Seau told Sirius radio that it's too early to have heard from the Patriots. Seau feels they have enough guys to cover the position until Mayo returns.
- Monique Walker Patriots Notebook: Patriots keeping a lid on trash talking; Maroney knows it will be a tough,physical game; TE Michael Matthews says he's still catching up but will be ready to go if called; DT Antwan Lake, a Saint last season, will be worked out by the Pats.
- Ian Rapoport Patriots Notebook: Mayo seen but not heard in the locker room, wearing knee brace and crutches; Seau would only come back at end of season if needed; P Chris Hanson will have to watch out for the wicked winds at The Meadowlands.
- Joe Zarbano offers some audio soundbites from the Jets players and coach as they spoke to the N.Y. media.
Jim Lazar makes his weekly picks. Pats over Jets 30-24.
- Mike Reiss looks at the sub packages used by the Patriots' defense.
- Mike Reiss notes the Patriots pay higher than the minimum for their practice squad members.
- SB Nation Week 2 NFL TV Distribution Maps.
- Tom Curran (NBC Sports) Ryan's approach livening Jets-Patriots rivalry.
Tim Graham (ESPN) Dierdorf calls Pats-Jets'too good to be true'.
- Charles Robinson (Yahoo! Sports) New England’s defense has lost its place among the NFL elite.
- NBC Sports What is the NFL's best rivalry? Fans get to vote here.
- Mike Florio (ProFootball Talk) Jay Leno gives the NFL extended play in his monologue.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) AFC East: Rating the stadiums.
- Jason Whitlock (Fox Sports) NFL Truths: McKelvin deserves Bills fans' Boos.
VIEW FROM THE MEADOWLANDS
- Howard Ullman (NY Post) Patriots praising Jets defense.
- Justin Terranova (NY Post) Ryan's had success vs. Brady.
- Gary Myers (NY Daily News) Rex Ryan's swagger sets Jets right heading into tilt with Patriots.
- Rich Cimini (NY Daily News) Kerry Rhodes can't embarrass Jets coach with talk.