Christopher Price lists his five things to watch for against the Giants.
The No. 3 receivers job.
To this point, the expected battle between Joey Galloway and Greg Lewis for the job of third receiver has turned out to be underwhelming. With the understanding that you can’t measure overall ability based solely on game action -- instead, it’s a single piece in the overall evaluation of a player -- Galloway and Lewis have been sadly lacking: Galloway has six catches for 49 yards and Lewis has two catches for 26 yards.
It’s not like neither one of them has been given the opportunity to take control of the situation -- through three preseason games, Galloway has had 12 passes thrown in his direction, second only to the 14 passes thrown toward Randy Moss. (Lewis has been targeted seven times.)
Ian Rapoport offers his five things to watch for in tonight's matchup.
Who’s on outside at LB: Shawn Crable or Paris Lenon?
The linebackers found breathing room when Tedy Bruschi retired, but there is still a numbers crunch. Pencil in the four starters and pass-rush specialists Derrick Burgess and Tully Banta-Cain. Depending on the configuration, it could leave just two spots for Eric Alexander, Paris Lenon and Shawn Crable. Alexander has a niche on special teams, putting the onus on Lenon to show he can stuff the run. If he looks lost, the decision may be over. But Crable might need to show he’s healthy to stay on the team.
- Patriots close out preseason against the Giants tonight at 7:30pm. Broadcast info, game preview.
- Patriots Today: Pats-Giants on tap. (7.46 min. video)
Bill Belichick Press Conference from 9/1 - Transcript plus 18.47 min. video.
- Laura London offers this exclusive interview with Coach Belichick. London is creator and webmaster of All Things Bill Belichick -- a really nifty site with quotes, history, and everything you always wanted to know about Belichick.
- Mike Reiss reviews and answers some blog comments on his 53-man roster projection.
- Ian Rapoport will be watching Andrew Walter and Brian Hoyer both vying for the backup role tonight.
- Mark Farinella reports on the several positional competitions that still have to be sorted out.
- Shalise Manza Young interviews Matthew Slater, Titus Adams and Terrence Nunn, bubble players who may or may not make the team, on how they approach the week before the roster cut-down.
- Ian Rapoport notes with cutdown day looming Saturday, rookie WR Terrence Nunn knows tonight is his last chance to make a good impression.
- Kerry J. Byrne (Cold Hard Football Facts) Even with a healthy Tom Brady at the helm of the offense, the Patriots live and die on the strength of their pass defense.
- Christopher Price Behind Enemy Lines: A view of how the NY media previews tonight's game.
- Mike McDermott says lots of teams didn't think Kevin O'Connell was a bust.
- Barbara Polichetti catches WR Terrence Nunn, and former Patriots Tedy Bruschi and Christian Fauria for a quick interview while getting their hair cut at a North Attleboro salon. (includes 2 minute video clip)
- Mike Reiss reports the Patriots hosted former Steeler-for-life OG Kendall Simmons at Gillette.
- AP Former Patriots RB John Stephens killed in highway crash. Stephens was 1988 Offensive Rookie of the Year for the New England Patriots.
- Mike Reiss captures Andre Tippett's thoughts on John Stephens.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Patriots defense will be youngest in many years.
- Peter King (SI) Projects the 2009 Divisional winners, Conference winners and the Patriots to win the Super Bowl.
- Ben Reiter (SI) New England Patriots 2009 Team Preview. Other NFL team previews can also be accessed from this link.
- NBC Sports offers it's own preview of the NFL, key players and champs.
- Trent Dilfer breaks down 49 quarterbacks from the elite to the rehab projects. (ESPN)
- Jeffrey Chadiha (ESPN) As Tom Brady's injury showed last year, every NFL team needs a backup plan.
- NFLN Crew (nfl.com) Deion Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Michael Irvin and Steve Mariucci debate how important it is for the QB to be a leader. (5.06 min. video)
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Rodney Harrison talks AFC East: Is skeptical of Patriots without Brady, and didn't think Jets head coach Rex Ryan needed to say what he did publicly.
- Gregg Rosenthal (Pro Football Talk) Eagles keeping an eye on Patriots tight ends?
- Peter King (SI) The Patriots braintrust and locker-room leadership on defense has taken a beating.
- Dead Men Walking: How NFL players deal with final roster cuts. (SI)
- Shutdown Corner (Yahoo! Sports) Brett Favre throws a dirty block at Eugene Wilson's knees. Includes 1.10 min. video clip.
- NFL is reviewing the controversial block made by Minnesota Vikings QB Brett Favre on Monday night. (CNN)
- Mike Florio (Sporting News) NFL preseason is a scam that needs to end.
- Tom Curran (Pro Football Talk) Niners release Damon Huard.
- Mike Florio (Pro Football Talk) Cleo Lemon back on the market.
- Alex Marvez (Fox Sports) Nothing easy for new Broncos coach McDaniels.
Mark Kriegel (Fox Sports) Diva WRs don't impress Jerry Rice. Michael Crabtree's stance is unfathomable.