Albert Breer reports Free-agent CB Leigh Bodden is looking to stay put in New England.
On Sirius NFL Radio's "Late Hits" program last night with hosts Bryan McGovern and Ross Tucker, Bodden intimated that he hasn't seen a whole lot of progress in talks with the Patriots. And that's just fine with him, for now at least.
"I did talk to Bill (Belichick), but all the business has to be done through my agent and those guys over there," Bodden told the Sirius guys. "But I feel like it’s too early. Combine’s right around the corner, and that’s where a lot of guys’ talk is – all the GMs, all the coaches."
On playing with Tom Brady ... "It’s unbelievable. Let me tell you, we played them in 2007, Cleveland did, and just to hear Tom Brady, the way he commanded the field, the way he demanded players to play well, to hear the little things he was saying, and then coming to the team and seeing how much of a leader he is, how much of a competitor he is, how much of just a great player he is, it’s amazing to play with a quarterback like that."
On whether the system in New England was rigid ... "Bill Belichick’s one of the best coaches there is. So you can’t really question what he does and how he does things, because he’s been successful with it. He knows what it takes to win. But he also listens to his players, as far as if things work or don’t work."
On the playoff loss to Baltimore ... "I was as shocked as anybody. Not saying you know you’re going to win, but with the Patriots, and I didn’t have this with other teams, you confident going into those games. ... Things didn’t go right early, and it’s kinda hard to come back against a team like that."
On what the Patriots defense needs to get better ..."We had some pass rush issues, we didn’t get that many sacks. And when Vince (Wilfork) was out or Tiny (Warren) was out, we had young guys, but I think the young guys stepped up and played well, and that just gives them experience going into next year. I think we have a lot of good young players, not just defensive line, but linebackers and the secondary. So it’s just little things here and there and just playing better."
- Andy Hart discusses some of the positional player rankings at Pro Football Focus, which he finds very interesting regarding the Patriots. Gary Guyton ahead of Jerod Mayo?
- Andy Hart compares Stephen Gostkowski's numbers with Raiders' Sebastian Janikowski, the highest paid kicker in the league.
- Albert Breer helps Deion Branch back his way out of some hot water. The WR loved his time in New England, but he's a Seahawk and "very happy in Seattle."
- Albert Breer speculates how it would work if things fell into place with Branch coming to New England.
- Ian Rapoport notes that according to a report, Vince Wilfork is the most awesome of all the unrestricted free agents. Logan Mankins makes the top ten on the list too.
- Mike Reiss discusses Tedy Bruschi's and Willie McGinest's thoughts on how they would counsel Vince Wilfork.
- Jeff Howe says the Patriots are hoping to be proven right for their 2009 Draft choices, and for their decision to trade down.
- Albert Breer warns us to get ready for a spring of hate from any of the 212 restricted free agents in their fourth and fifth years, who would have been unrestricted in the old system.
- Mike Reiss reports that from Vinatieri to Samuel, the Patriots have had varied results with the franchise label over the years.
- Mike Reiss notes that DE/OLB Brandon Graham (Michigan) is a name that keeps popping up in mock drafts. Chad Reuter of NFLdraftscout.com has joined the crowd.
- Mike Reiss offers the transcript of his weekly online chat. Lots of good insight here as usual.
- ESPN Video: Tedy Bruschi and Willie McGinest sit down with Suzy Kolber to talk Patriots and Vince Wilfork. (2 min. video) McGinest counsels the Patriots to "Pay the man!"
- Matt Williamson (ESPN) Ranking the AFC East secondaries.
- Pete Prisco (CBS Sports) Top 32 FAs: Cap-free year needs restricted infusion. The unrestricted FA list alone isn't very good "it's the sick, the old and the injured."
- Adam Schefter (ESPN) Report: Richard Seymour will get franchise tag from Raiders.
- Michael Lombardi (Yahoo! Sports) Why trades are tough to make.
- Andrew Brandt (Nat'l Football Post) Top ten offseason stories.
- Michael David Smith (ProFootballTalk) NFL now, UFC later for Stephen Neal?