Ian Rapoport spoke to Bill Belichick on the upcoming Draft.
"There’s certainly a lot of interesting guys out there," the Patriots coach told the Herald yesterday. "To pick with multiple picks in the second round, that’s something we’re glad we’ll have the opportunity to do. I think there’ll be players beyond the first round that’ll be appealing."
He also left the door open on moving up to pluck a coveted player. "Sometimes, what you think it’ll take in terms of compensation or draft choices, it’s different than that, so there’s no way to really predict," said Belichick, who is still preparing with his staff. "It’s like you got to do your homework, prepare for the final exam, and then see what questions are on the test."
Belichick responded that for players who don’t physically fit their mold, "It’s certainly not a deal breaker." "Ultimately, you grade the player based on how good he is," he said. "You have a standard for each position - height, weight and speed. If a player is less than that in a certain area, you can still give him a high grade, you just make a note that this player is short. It’s certainly not a deal breaker. But statistically, there’s a certain height and speed that players have in the NFL, and you just want to acknowledge that we think this guy’s a good player but he’s a little less than what everybody else is at that position on average.
Shalise Manza Young checks in with Vince Wilfork yesterday, who said it was too early to reveal who he'd select in the first round of the Draft.
Asked how he would like the Patriots to use their 12 selections this year, Wilfork said with a hearty chuckle, "D-linemen! I hope all our picks are defensive picks.’’
- Ask PFW: Cool your jets.
- Patriots Today - Thoughts from Wilfork. (18.48 min. video)
- Patriots Today - Draft Preview: Linebackers. (5.19 min. video)
- 2010 Patriots Hall of Fame Nominees: Sam Cunningham, RB (1.29 min. video), Jon Morris, C (.43 second video) and Houston Antwine, DL (.51 second video).
- Ian Rapoport notes Vince Wilfork's views of the Jets' recent moves. "Hey, the game is played between those lines right there."
- Shalise Manza Young notes the Jets are making noise, but questions if it will all fly.
- Tom E. Curran says while the Draft is out of their hands, Vince Wilfork insists that what they can control -- working out and team-building right now -- is working.
- Joe Zorbano offers some more tidbits from Wilfork's Q&A with the media.
- Albert Breer notes it can't be a bad sign hearing that Brady and Welker are working out together at UCLA again.
- Mike Reiss looks at two main reasons why the Pats wouldn't target Brandon Marshall: Locker room chemistry and economics.
- Mike Reiss wonders what the Patriots will do with their 5 seventh-round picks. There is value there that Belichick appreciates.
- Mark Farinella discusses the Patriots drafting history with punters, and previews the kickers punters and long-snappers available this year.
- Mike Reiss profiles a sleeper possibility for the Patriots: WR Ryan Wolfe (UNLV).
- WEEI Mocks the Draft: Take 9.
- Albert Breer reports this month's edition of ESPN The Magazine ranks New England 20th among clubs in the draft. Of course, they don't count trading draft picks for Moss and Welker in 2007.
- Mark Farinella tells fans not to expect anything fresh from Belichick's pre-draft presser this morning.
- Albert Breer notes if Logan Mankins doesn't sign his $3.268 million tender by June 15, the Patriots can slice his offer to $1.54 million. If he signs, he's under contract, and has to report or risk being fined.
- WEEI offers the transcript of ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter's appearance on the Dennis & Callahan show Tuesday morning.
- Robert Lee says Damione Lewis will add depth to Pats defensive line.
- NESN Gillette Stadium boasts new state-of-the-art field turf. (2.04 min. video) Forget grass, I need some of this stuff for my lawn.
- Robert Lee profiles WR Golden Tate (Notre Dame).
- Tom E. Curran profiles LB Sergio Kindle (Texas).
- Chad Finn reports Boston attorney Harry Manion revealed during an interview with "The Dennis and Callahan Show" that he was recently involved in an investigation of Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger for similiar allegations from a different woman.
Tim Graham (ESPN) Belichick longs for model OLBs.
- Mike Reiss (ESPNBoston) A panel discussion on who might some sleepers be for the Patriots this year. (Includes 3.32 min. video).
- Peter Schrager (Fox Sports) This year's NFL Draft sleepers.
- Nathan Gorenstein (Philadelphia Inquirer) 3rd Circuit resurrects Jets fan's suit against Patriots from 2007.
- Jeff Darlington and Armando Salguero (Miami Herald) Sources: Miami Dolphins to trade for Denver WR Brandon Marshall.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Marshall alters Dolphins immediately.
Tim Graham (ESPN) Report: Dolphins trying to drop Ginn.
- Judy Battista (NY Times) Roethlisberger is facing fallout for his behavior. A loss of endorsements, the wrath of fans and a possible suspension could be looming.
Vic Carucci (NFL.com) As draft nears, free agency still offers options for teams in need.