150. Zoltan Mesko, P Michigan
Players left: C Matt Tennant, WR Riley Cooper, SS Reshad Jones
- Gives us a top of the line punter.
- Adds around 5 yards to every punt over last year (Hanson finished 32nd in the league in punting average, dead last in net punting yards, tied for league lead in blocked punts).
- Mesko has the skill to match Hanson's short field punting game (coffin corners, fair catches, etc). Hanson usually punted a short field, 2nd in the league in Fair Catch %).
- Gives us a young player with a lot of experience.
- "Free" pick that we gained by trading down in the first for Devin McCourty.
- Fills a great need.
- Grabbed in the 5th round with plenty of great players available.
Summary: Some people think we reached a little in the 5th round for Mesko. However, the #1 punter in the draft usually gets drafted in the 4th or 5th round. If Mesko works out, he will be worth the pick.
Final Player Grade: A-. He is an un-sexy punter pick, but he does fill a need and should provide us with a starter. That said, there's a chance the Patriots could have traded down a little in the 5th, picked up an additional late rounder and still grabbed Mesko before the Buccaneers.
Final Draft Pick Grade: A. "Free" pick from the McCourty trade down. Best type of pick, right?