Tom E. Curran takes back his quibble with the New England Patriots that they should have taken Dez Bryant - especially after analyzing the 44 wide receivers taken in the first round of the draft since 2000.
Dez Bryant is halfway to being the NFL’s answer to Paris Hilton . . . famous for being famous. Despite the fact he played only three games in 2009, he and Tim Tebow dominated the runup to the draft, the draft itself and the post-draft conversations.
One incident at a time, it’s easy to understand why Bryant’s done what he has. He got screwed by the NCAA, he’s had his upbringing and intelligence openly questioned, and he’s been treated like crap by potential employers in job interviews. He’s turned into a sideshow. And because of his penchant for taking the bait, the show will go on.
Ian Rapoport talks about what happens next for the Patriots rookies.
Well, the rookies are all sent home with a ton of knowledge, lots of terminology, and plenty of things to study. They aren’t allowed back in the facility until May 17, while veterans, of course, will still be here training.
Defensive tackle Brandon Deaderick summed up the goals for the weeks following the camp. "My main thing is just retain all the information I learned up here in mini-camp," Deaderick said, "and just getting in better shape and being able to keep up with the vets. It was a learning experience, just gotta take a little bit at a time."
- Patriots Today - Make way for Mesko. (2.56 min. video)
- New England Patriots Alumni Inaugural Stars and Stripers Fishing Tournament. Saturday, June 5, 2010, East Falmouth, MA.
- Ian Rapoport notes Tom Brady is back as Honorary Chairman for the Best Buddies Challenge.
- Shalise Manza Young says it's official, Brown WR Buddy Farnham signs with the Patriots.
- Albert Breer examines recent comments by Jets coach on the Patriots' misuse of LB Adalius Thomas.
- Mike Reiss notes DL Gerard Warren, who signed a one-year contract with the Patriots, is scheduled for a Q&A with the press this morning.
- Ian Rapoport tapes ex-Illinois wrestler John Wise talking about trying to be a Patriot. (1.11 min. video)
- Mark Farinella focuses on undrafted rookie safety Ross Ventrone, wearing his brother Ray's number 41and trying to 'study hard' and 'hustle his butt off' to make the team.
- Albert Breer analyzed some of the video from the Patriots War Room and says it's inconclusive whether the Patriots had Gronkowski over Gresham on their board.
- Ian Rapoport discusses the 6-week offseason regimen used by Alge Crumpler under the eye of fitness guru Mackie Shilstone who specializes in prolonging the careers of athletes.
- Mike Reiss answers why Mesko made the switch from 6 to 14, and more.
- Jeff Howe says WR Taylor Price must prove his worth on special teams to make the roster in 2010.
- Mike Reiss looks at the other side of 'future-pick' trades.
- Mike Reiss adds one additional thought on 'future-pick' deals.
- Christopher Price catches us up with three ex-Patriots: Richard Seymour, Adalius Thomas and Asante Samuel.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Four months out, a QB list to fight over.
- Andy Benoit (NY Times) Best Quarterbacks in the NFL: The top ten list.
- Andy Benoit (NY Times) Best running backs in the NFL: The top 10 list.
- Abe van der Bent (Football Outsiders) 2010 NFL Draft Report Card Report.
- Brian Billick (Fox Sports) AFC East Draft review.
- Wes Bunting (Nat'l Football Post) The draft’s boom-or-bust players: part 1
- Alex Marvez (Fox Sports) Big debate over Big Ben brewing in Pittsburgh.
- AP (NFL Fanhouse) DEA looking into cover-up allegations against Saints.
- Andrew Brandt (Nat'l Football Post) The purpose behind tough interview questions.