Robert Lee reports five years ago, Mike Wright was in the same position that the new rookie free agents were - trying to make the Patriots roster after not getting drafted.
"If I had anything to say to [the Patriot free agent rookie signees] it would be just to listen and watch the older guys," Wright said. "Those guys have been around here for 10 years, 12 years, and that's what I did. I watched the guys and learned from them because they had been around the longest, and to listen to the coaches because we have great coaches around here.
"Pepper Johnson in my case has made the player I am so I'm going to continue to get better and that's what they need to do."
"They bring in players every year that push me to play harder more and more each year but it's the NFL and they're always going to bring in guys to make their team better and that's going to make me better," Wright said.
"People were more dependent on me and I had to step up and I tried to play the best of my ability," Wright said. "I got a lot of experience under my belt last year and hopefully I can bring that into this year if I'm called upon again."
Ian Rapoport notes Gerrard Warren figures to bolster the Patriots defensive line.
Belichick has yet to nail down a spot for him, but he could be a starting end or provide depth inside.
"I don’t think you’re going to see him outside of the tackles very often," Belichick said. "But from tackle to tackle, (he’s) done that. So he definitely has some versatility from both the left side and the right side, in different alignments in there, on both early downs and on passing downs."
- Ask PFW: Meet the rookies.
- Patriots Today - Shining a Light on the offseason. (4.49 min. video)
- Gerrard Warren Interview - 5/04/10 (5.33 min. video)
- Christopher Price notes Richard Seymour helped sell DL Gerrard Warren on the Patriots.
- Tom E. Curran notes the Patriots finally get Warren, nine years later.
- Tom E. Curran reports Mike Wright knows the Seymour trade changed his whole role on the defensive line and gave him the opportunity to step up.
- Albert Breer notes 49ers' Patrick Willis' $50 million deal could eventually affect Mayo's contract status with Patriots.
- Albert Breer says the Patrick Willis' deal could show a loophole allowing for Brady's deal to get negotiated.
- Mike Reiss looks at the length of contracts signed by the Patriots' rookie free agents.
- Mike Reiss answers his weekly reader mailbag. Lots of good insight here from Reiss as usual.
- Albert Breer looks over some position rankings and offers a rundown of where some Patriots players are involved and ranked.
- Tom E. Curran notes Asante Samuel was so mad at a reporter for writing about his lack of tackling skills that he berated the guy publicly, calling him a weasel.
- Joe Fortenbaugh (Nat'l Football Post) 2010 NFL Divisional odds: Patriots favored over the Jets.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) 15-1: Are Jets fans delusional?
- Jane McManus (ESPNNewYork) Jets fans anticipate best record in team history.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) The big question: Can Jets ace chemistry?
- Willis extension, and what it means. (Nat'l Football Post) Niners reward production with
- Peter King (SI) MMQB: Tuesday Edition.
- Wes Bunting (Nat'l Football Post) The draft’s boom-or-bust players: part 2