Albert Breer tries to clear up the Mankins situation.
Now, our story has some more detail on this sticky situation. The team does have a multi-year offer on the table for Mankins. But there's no indication the sides are close to a deal now, and the letters that were sent out last week by teams like the Patriots and Broncos and Chargers and Buccaneers weren't well-received by the players' camps, and raised some eyebrows in the union.
Ian Rapoport reports Tyrone McKenzie and Pierre Woods helped raise funds to benefit One Mission and Children’s Hospital Boston yesterday, participating in a Kids Cancer Buzz-Off.
They shaved the heads of children who raised money to support for family members or close ones who have cancer.
"My father died of stomach cancer when I was 9," said McKenzie, a second-year player from South Florida. "It was a tough time, and I wouldn’t have become the person I am today (without it). But this was something that I highlighted on my schedule that I wanted to do. It’s a great opportunity to try to do whatever I can to help. That’s huge for the kids to cut their hair off for cancer."
"This has a special place in my heart," said Woods, who noted his mother is doing well. "Knowing that the kids have cancer and are fighting the battle, all they have is people’s support, the doctors’ support, their families support. . . . To come out and support the event is huge."
- Paul Perillo and Erik Scalavino debate whether Logan Mankins will attend mandatory mini-camp.
- Patriots Today - Setting the stage for mini-camp. (2.50 min. video)
- Patriots Today - Belichick bikes for a cause. (2.18 min. video)
- Albert Breer reports that it's decision time for Logan Mankins.
- Mike Reiss crafts a proposal for the Patriots and Logan Mankins, detailing the current market conditions, different dynamics in play, and what was important for both sides.
- Mike Reiss looks at the trickle-down effect of a Mankins reduction.
- Christopher Price notes the many Patriots in attendance at last night's Celtic's game 5 win at the Garden, including Bill Belichick.
- Albert Breer notes WR Taylor Price will have to try to start catching up with his draft class-mates, and also the vets, in the fight for playing time in the fall.
- Ian Rapoport notes LB Tyrone McKenzie says his knee situation is behind him and he feels great.
- Mike Reiss offers some quick-hit thoughts from the Patriots and around the NFL.
- Nate Dow observes Bill Belichick is unafraid to call upon rookies if he thinks they're ready to play, and looks at the games played and started by last year's rookie class.
- Karen Guregian notes former Patriot Heath Evans sees the wisdom in Pats-Saints practices after initial skepticism.
- Mike Reiss says the Patriots may be scrambling this season to fill the void at OLB.
- Albert Breer reports Randy Moss has long been friendly with Celtics forward Kevin Garnett from their Minnesota days. He includes a pic of them from a 2000 magazine cover.
- Robert Lee sees that after a slow start, Julian Edelman is taking on a key role with the Pats.
- Jeff Howe thinks WR Julian Edelman is a lock to be the Patriots third target.
- Mike Reiss looks at the importance of having a second year in the system.
- Ian Rapoport found that instead of holding its annual golf tournament, the Patriots Charitable Foundation is hosting an event called "Leadership Blitz" where more than 100 of the people most giving to the team’s causes will live a day in the life of a Patriot.
- Matt Williamson (ESPN) Pressure Point: Patriots need Maroney.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) AFC East backfields looking gray.
- Ed Thompson (Fox Sports) Fred Taylor hurts his rep by being loyal to Plaxico Burress.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) Troy Aikman, Drew Bledsoe have a proposed solution for the oil spill.
- Peter King (SI) Tim Tebow The Making of a Quarterback.
- MMQB Guest Columnist: Advice for rookies on adjusting to life in the NFL. (SI)
- Selective enforcement of OTA rules needs to stop. Ravens, Raiders OTA punishment exposes NFL problem. (SI)
- Jim Wyatt and Bryan Mullen (The Tennessean) Titans QB Vince Young cited in strip-club scuffle.
- Matt Bowen (Nat'l Football Post) When will Vince Young start to act like a pro?
- Mike Florio (Sporting News) Bush, Carroll can't get off scot-free in USC mess.