Mike Reiss notes Gary Guyton and his agent were pleased with the two-year contract offer.
Patriots linebacker Gary Guyton was rewarded with a two-year contract that includes a $650,000 signing bonus, a move that his agent said was a nice gesture by the team.
"We're extremely pleased that the Patriots stepped up when they didn't have to and rewarded Gary with a contract that reflects how well he has performed on and off the field," said Richard Kopelman, who represents Guyton.
Ian Rapoport talks about Tedy Bruschi's football camp at Gillette Stadium, and what Bruschi hoped for the children to get out of it.
"Just one fundamental skill that they will remember," Bruschi said before the camp began. "From a station, whether it be from Flutie’s or Mesko’s… I remember certain things taught to me when I was younger, that I still would apply in the pros. I remember when I was here, they taught me to hold the ball a certain way. I still do it to this day. If they take that away from Flutie or Mesko or when I tackle a guy, I’m going to keep my head up and propped to one side because Jerod Mayo told me that during that one time I was on the field during SBLI camp. That’s what I hope they take from it."
"In terms of the numbers, it hasn’t (grown) and that’s sort of the way I’ve wanted it," Bruschi said. "The smaller it is, the more individual attention we can give to the kids. And when Jerod Mayo can properly teach a kid how to tackle, one-on-one, and has the time to do it, they’ll get more out of it, rather than sort of getting lost in the shuffle of a camp that has 100 kids. The individual attention is very important to me, and the kids being active, too. Are they all gonna be professional football players? The odds are against them. But to come out here, learn fundamentals, be active and learn how to be active, and practicing a certain skill you can be good at, it’s very important learn at this point in their lives."
"My own kids, I just want them to break a sweat – that’s really it," Bruschi joked. "My oldest son is starting to discover football and he tells me he wants to be a receiver. So I hope he gets a lot out of the Gronk station at this camp. And throwing also, I’ve seen him, he can play quarterback a little bit too. So hopefully he gets it out of Doug’s station."
- John Cockrell Out-Takes: The NFL's 'Enhanced' Season.
- Paul Perillo offers a close-up introduction to 7th-round pick QB Zac Robinson.
- Albert Breer says the Gary Guyton contract is a win-win for both sides, and analyzes how they came to the numbers.
- Christopher Price notes Gary Guyton started every regular-season game last year and was in the lineup for 83 percent of all defensive snaps in 2009.
- Comcast Sports Tonight: Guyton deal with the Pats. (1.10 min. video)
- Ian Rapoport posts his video of Tedy Bruschi giving a pre-camp speech to the children in the Patriots locker room. Nice crew of Patriots player-volunteers helping him too: Brown, Mayo, Flutie, Herzlich, Mesko, and Gronkowski. Way cool. (4.45 min. video)
- Ian Rapoport posts some terrific pics of the event here.
- Brendan Hall talks about Tedy Bruschi's bonding with BC LB Mark Herzlich and fellow Arizona alum TE Rob Gronkowski.
- Mike Reiss looks at the Offensive line position and how the Patriots compare with the rest of the NFL.
- Mike Reiss notes Tedy Bruschi was also in the news for being named to the President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition.
- Christopher Price notes the Patriots rookies are headed for the annual NFL Rookie Symposium in Carlsbad, California this weekend.
- Mike Reiss says RB Pat Paschall's release from the Patriots at this point was a mild surprise, since the team was obviously interested in him in the scouting process.
- Jeff Howe writes Tom Brady's overall body of work suggests his 2009 fourth-quarter struggles were just a blip and he'll be back on his game next season.
- Mike Reiss offers a transcript of his weekly online chat. Terrific insight here as usual.
- Peter Schrager (Fox Sports) NFL top 100 players of 2010: Nos 61-80, Nos 41-60, Nos 21-40 and Nos 1-20.
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Are left tackles overvalued by the NFL?
- FOX Sports refurbishes overseas air force base lounge in Southwest Asia. The facility opens today to serve the men and women of the U.S. military.