Ian Rapoport says the defensive roster is as unsettled as it's been in years, which will spawn intense competition in camp.
"Definitely, there’s competition everywhere," said second-year cornerback Darius Butler, who is battling for a starting spot alongside Leigh Bodden. "It’s a lot of guys with a lot of talent. That’s good for the coaches, good for the players. It’s going to push us and the best guys’ll be out there."
"Competition brings out the best in people," [CB Leigh] Bodden said. "I think they see guys doing well and that stems the other guy to want to do well. That’s what I think they’re trying to build here."
"Whoever will be there, I’m pretty sure we’ll have a lot of confidence in that person," nose tackle Vince Wilfork said. "Bill don’t want nobody on that team that’s not tough. We have to build that back up."
"We got some good teammates, some new guys, guys that’s been around, so it’s going to be very interesting," Wilfork said. "We have to start from the bottom, work our way up (with) a lot and lot and lot of work."
- Player thoughts after OTA. (3.26 min. video) Today -
- Patriots Today - Maroney feels urgency to 'put it all together'. (3.10 min. video)
- Football For You: Former pros teach football fundamentals to Worcester youth.
- Albert Breer details the differences between Welkers' knee injury, surgery and recovery to that of Brady's. The major advantage Welker has is his was non-contact.
- Albert Breer assesses the fallout at the WR position if Wes Welker is available in Week 1.
- Ian Rapoport offers a video clip of Randy Moss running routes and catching passes. (1.06 min.)
- Albert Breer examines the situation with Brady's contract negotiations, and offers three points to keep in mind: control, history and timelines, and the going rate for top QBs.
- Mike Reiss notes free-agent WR Rod Owens, an undrafted rookie who was waived by the St. Louis Rams last week, worked out for the Patriots Thursday morning.
- Ian Rapoport notes that it's hard trying to come up with a defensive starting lineup for the Patriots. Plenty of options at almost every position means intense preseason mini-camps.
- Ian Rapoport talks about ex-Tennessee star Jerod Mayo embracing the Gators surrounding him.
- Christopher Price catches up with ex-Pats' TE Benjamin Watson.
- Albert Breer tries to guess which Patriots might end up in the NFL Hall of Fame.
- The NFL Total Access crew takes a look at the current state of the New England Patriots. Are they rebuilding or reloading? (3.36 min. video)
- Matt Williamson (ESPN) On the radar: Pats WR Brandon Tate.
- Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon (ESPN) The PTI crew offer their take on Brady's contract situation. Wilbon lists other franchise QBs whose career didn't end well. (1.30 min. video)
- Tim Graham (ESPN) Healthy Sanchez key to Jets' season.
- Jane McManus (ESPNNY) Source: Jets' Revis a holdout from OTA.
- John Czarnecki (Fox Sports) NFL's Top 10 most overpaid players.
- Don Banks (SI) Big dose of reality: Like it or not, fantasy football has taken over NFL.
- hot league topics. (SI) NFL Films guru uses coaches' tape to break down
- Pat Kirwan (NFL.com) Hall passes: Lead pipe locks and on-the-fringe players for Canton.