With news that the NFL owners and the NFLPA executive committee reached an agreement on the remaining CBA Issues late last night/early this morning, I thought now would be a good time to review who the Patriots' own free agents are, considering that teams could very well be allowed to re-sign them beginning this aftrernoon.
Here are Patriots free agents that are either received the franchise tag or are restricted or exclusive-rights free agents (or had that status earlier this offseason):
- BenJarvus Green-Ellis, RB #42 (Restricted): expected to sign 2nd roundtender
- Kyle Arrington, CB #27 (ERFA): signing is a mere formality
- Josh Barrett, S, #45 (RFA): Signed two year extension in February
- Jarrad Page, S, #44 (RFA): Was a restricted free agent under 2010 rules, but should be unrestricted now. Still, I would expect the Patriots to try to re-sign him considering the 2nd round tender he was given.
- Logan Mankins, G, #70 (Franchise Tag): Unlikely to go anywhere in 2011 due to franchise designation, but an extension appears pretty unlikely.
Here are Patriots free agents that are unrestricted:
- Kevin Faulk, RB, #33: Veteran back wants to return and likely to be re-signed soon to compete for a spot
- Sammy Morris, RB, #34: If Faulk doesn't come back, Morris is a good jack-of-all-trades that could still get a flier in training camp despite his age.
- Fred Taylor, RB #21: Likely to retire, and if not is still unlikely to return to the Pats
- Matt Light, LT, #72: One of the Patriots biggest free agents, Light could return to the Pats on a two year deal, or could look to see where the market brings him.
- Gerard Warren, DL, #92: The big-bodied defensive lineman may not return due to the return of Ty Warren and the signing of Marcus Stroud.
- Brandon McGowan, S, #30: It's hard to know what to predict with McGowan. I think he could be back depending on what happens with Jarrad Page (although I see Page as the priority).
- Quinn Ojinnaka, T, #69: Could be back on a short term deal. Saw time as a reserve lineman and special teamer in 2010.
- Tracy White, LB, #58: Phenomenal special teams player that looks very likely to get a new deal from the Pats at age 30.
- Shayne Graham, K, #5: With Stephen Gostkowski returning, Shayne Graham likely will not.
So there you have it for the Patriots free agents. I'm not sure how many deals will actually be consummated today, but with players able to talk to other teams, they should get some idea of their market value. Still, I could see players such as Kevin Faulk and Tracy White re-signing at some point today.