Shalise Manza Young highlights the Patriots-related topics touched on by Robert Kraft's meeting with reporters yesterday in Palm Beach.
On free agency and the Pats' generally waiting to sign players: I think every team has to do what they think is right. I think what you’re going to see over the next few years, is the market is going to be a different market. I think every team has to decide what’s in their best interests. When you’re the first one in the market place, you’re surely going to be paying top price. So, if that’s your need, then that’s the correct thing to do, but I think that we try to think long. We’re in the business for the long-term, we don’t plan on selling the franchise, we’d like to be competitive every year to try to make the playoffs. So, the only way you’re going to do that is to get quality depth management and have players have good values and you can only pay so many players top dollar and field a team that will be competitive.
Kirk Minihane explains why the Jets and Tim Tebow will be an absolute disaster and a train wreck.
If you’re a Jets fan, enjoy the embarrassing press conference on Monday. It will be the high point of the Tim Tebow Era in New York. And if you are a Patriots fan, enjoy watching the continuing destruction of a franchise that looked on the verge of being a very legitimate challenger just 14 months ago.
Because this is a team now on the verge of completely falling apart. No leadership, no consistent message and an aging defense equals 6-10 and goodbye to Rex.
But at least they’ll sell some shirts and dominate March.
Christopher Price posts some highlights of BenJarvus Green-Ellis' radio interview with ESPN 1530 in CIncinnati.
Can you talk about your emotions in the Super Bowl loss and the days following it? "It was a hard fought and competitive game that we just didn’t come out on top of. I congratulate the New York Football Giants on winning a Super Bowl this year and being a champion. I felt like they were the one team that were champions and there were 31 losers and we were one of them this year, but we worked hard to get to where we were and we just didn’t come away with everything we wanted. That’s the only one regret that I have in all my years in the league was this past season and not being able to bring home that Super Bowl to Mr. Kraft. I felt like that was one of the things to help ease his pain going through everything with his wife, so that was one of my only regrets about leaving New England and not bringing Mr. Kraft that Super Bowl this past season."
- Erik Scalavino recaps Day 1 of the NFL annual meeting and lets us know what to expect on Day 2.
- Roger Goodell news conference. (23.48 min. video)
- Patriots Today - Lloyd, Stallworth on Kraft's side. (1.29 min. video)
- Patriots Today - One-on-one with Robert Kraft. (4.47 min. video)
- Patriots Today - Kraft talks Tebow. (1.40 min. video)
- Patriots Today - Draft preview: Wide receiver. (3.47 min. video)
- Mike Reiss posts the Patriots six draft picks in order, as released by the NFL this morning.
- Ian Rapoport reports Robert Kraft endorses the IR exemption and reveals Tom Brady wanted to return in 2008.
- James Walker & Mike Reiss notes Belichick won't rule out adding another WR and adding more layers to what should be a good competition.
- Tom E. Curran dishes on some interesting nuggets picked up from Day 1 at the NFL owner meetings in Florida.
- James Walker & Mike Reiss offer some interesting quotes from Bill Belichick yesterday.
- Greg A. Bedard notes the NFL didn't think a rule change was necessary regarding how the Patriots hired Josh McDaniels right before they played the Broncos, his former team.
- Christopher Price wonders what's up with all the fullbacks.
- Mike Reiss notes the Patriots have now signed/agreed with 12 free agents from other teams - seven on offense and five on defense.
- Christopher Price notes Greg Cosell of NFL Films says that when it comes to the Patriots, the differences between a three-man front and a four-man front are more complex than you’d think.
- Gerry Callahan applauds Tim Tebow for choosing the tougher place to play, and says Sanchez shouldn't be bothered - as long as he doesn't throw two straight incompletions.
- Tom E. Curran reports Robert Kraft says that the expected rise in salary cap when no TV deals are inked may not bring spike many have expected.
- Tom E. Curran recounts Robert Kraft heaping praise on Wes Welker and BenJarvus Green-Ellis.
- Ron Borges writes about the possibility that the majority of NFL owners engaged in collusion during the uncapped year.
- Greg A. Bedard sniffs out a bit of angst in the ranks at the NFL owners meetings.
- Ian Rapoport Patriots Notebook: Robert Kraft thought it would be "Real interesting" if Bill Parcells agreed to coach the Saints in 2012; Patriots hired coaching assistant Chris Simms to join the staff; Marvin Lewis spoke about why he decided to sign RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis to a three-year, $9 million deal; Patriots received no compensatory picks from the league for free agents lost last season.
- WEEI profiles potential Patriots in the Draft: DE/OLB Kyle Wilber (Wake Forest).
- Mike Reiss analyzes the mock draft of Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki and which players he selected for the Patriots.
- CSNNE reports Bill O'Brien will have Penn State run the Patriots offense.
- Clark Judge (CBS Sports) Draft needs: New England Patriots.
- Chad Reuter (NFL.com) AFC East Draft needs: Patriots major needs still remain on defensive side of the ball.
- Jeff Zrebiec (Baltimore Sun) Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti is asked, "Are there still times you think about that final minute of the AFC championship game and how close your team was to being in the Super Bowl? "Only mornings, afternoons and nights. Other than that, no."
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) Goodell says Shockey isn't the whistleblower.
- Michael David Smith (ProFootballTalk) Roger Goodell: Saints continued lying "into the past several weeks".
- Don Banks (SI) Goodell upset with Saints' cover-up as much as illegal bounty program.
- Chris Burke (SI) Jets take major, unnecessary risks in dealing for Tim Tebow.
- Dan Wetzel (Yahoo! Sports) Tim Tebow uncomfortable with getting forced front and center by Jets bosses.
- Mike Freeman (CBS Sports) At NFL meetings, many important issues - but all talk about Tebow.
- Chris Brown (BuffaloBills.com) Bills hoping their instant replay review proposal passes.
- Josh Alper (ProFootballTalk) Concussions on kickoffs drop sharply in 2011.
- Jeff McLane (Philadelphia Daily News) Eagles have Samuel on the trading block.
- Nolan Nawrocki (Pro Football Weekly) Mock Draft 2.0. Patriots select DT Kendall Reyes (Connecticut) and WR Stephen Hill (Georgia Tech).