So my initial plan, when I first decided to comprise these weekly trivia quizzes, was to give each week a theme, and then make all of that week's trivia questions congruent with said theme. It seemed to be a good plan at the time; it gave the quizzes some structure, gave me some parameters to work with, and was a great way to maintain some momentum throughout the summer. And I'm happy to say that for the first three weeks, everything went swimmingly.
Now, here we find ourselves. Once again, in true Alec Shane fashion, I have managed to fail spectacularly in a goal I've set for myself. There is absolutely nothing tying this week's questions together other than the fact that they are all Patriots-related. Sure, I could take the coward's way out and lie about it, saying that this week's quiz is a "trivia grab bag" or "a collection of fun facts," but the truth is that this week somehow got away from me and as a result I simply didn't have time this to compile a list of similar questions that make up a common theme. What follows are simply a series of random questions as collected by a guy who may or may not have spent the bulk of his free time these past few days vigorously testing the various cooling effects different alcoholic beverages have on the overweight, overheated American male.
I hope to be back on track next week with an "All Time Great Patriots" Trivia Tuesday - but if this East Coast heat wave keeps up and I have to continue with my experiments, everything is up in the air.
Questions after the jump.
1. In which year did the Patriots celebrate their first win over the Colts?
2. True or False: The Patriots have an all-time winning record against the Colts.
3. How many yards is the longest rushing play in Patriots history?
4. How did the Patriots score their first-ever Super Bowl points?
A. Rushing Touchdown
B. Passing Touchdown
C. Field Goal
D. Fumble return for touchdown
5. One of the most (in)famous games in Patriots history is the Snowplow Game against Miami in 1982, where a plowman made a convenient detour to clear a space for the New England field goal that represented the only points of that game. What is the name of said plowman?
A. Tom Petrillo
B. Adam Patota
C. Nate Moore
D. Mark Henderson
6. In that same Snowplow Game, who was the holder for John Smith's winning kick?
A. Matt Cavanaugh
B. Steve Grogan
C. Tom Flick
D. Don Hasselback
7. What is New England's record for most consecutive playoff wins?
8. When was the last time a Patriots game ended in a tie?
9. How many stripes are on the sleeves of a standard New England Patriots jersey?
11. Which Patriot has the record for most career touchdown catches?
A. Ben Coates
B. Troy Brown
C. Gino Cappaletti
D. Stanley Morgan
12. True or False: The New England Patriots have the highest playoff winning percentage in the NFL.
13. Who is the only Patriot to be named Pro Bowl MVP?
A. Tom Brady
B. Ty Law
C. Ben Coates
D. Randy Moss
14. How many jersey numbers have the New England Patriots retired?
15. True or False: Kevin Faulk is related to Marshall Faulk.
16. For a brief period after they were the Boston Patriots and before they became the New England Patriots, the team was known as the ________ Patriots.
A. Bay State
17. Which player holds the record for most career games as a Patriot?
A. Julius Adams
B. Kevin Faulk
C. Steve Grogan
D. Bruce Armstrong
18. On a typical game day, Patriots fans collectively eat more than ______ of Italian sausage and ____ gallons of clam chowder.
A. 1,000 lbs/228
B. 1,500 lbs/153
C. 1 ton/ 186
D. 2 tons/501
19. What is the seating capacity of Gillette Stadium?
20. How many women are on the Patriots 2012 Cheerleader roster?
Come back this afternoon for the answers!