I like to think that I know a lot about football. Not only do I know that names of most of the players in the National Football League, but I have a pretty solid understanding of the fundamentals of the game and know the ins and outs of the Xs and Os. I can recognize offensive and defensive formations, I know the difference between a Mike and a Sam linebacker, and I can listen to most quarterbacks call plays without going cross-eyed.
That said, my body of football knowledge might be enough to land me a job hand washing jock straps for no pay in the Arena Football League. Compared to the guys that coach professional football, I know less than jack squat. These are guys that have been in and around football for most of their lives, who have built a career out of their love for the game, and who have forgotten more about football than I'll ever learn. Whether your name is Bill Belichick or Cam Cameron, if you've ever coached an NFL team in any capacity, my hat goes off to you.
And as training camp draws ever closer, I thought I'd put together a quiz on the men who will be drawing up the plays, running the drills, enforcing the penalty laps, and making the cuts over the next few weeks. Today's Patriots Trivia Tuesday is all about New England's coaches, both past and present.
Questions after the jump.
1. How many head coaches have the Patriots had?
2. What was Patriots first ever head coach Lou Saban's nickname?
D. Trader Lou
3. What position did Bill Belichick play in college?
C. Defensive End
4. Which Patriots head coach boasts the SECOND most regular season wins?
A. Raymond Berry
B. Mike Holovak
C. Bill Parcells
D. Chuck Fairbanks
5. How many one-season (or less) coaches have the Patriots had?
6. True or False: former Patriots head coach Pete Carroll played football for Notre Dame.
7. Bill Parcells' famous quote, "They want you to cook the dinner; at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries" is a reference to what player?
A. Ted Johnson
B. Shawn Jefferson
C. Drew Bledsoe
D. Terry Glenn
8. Who was the last Patriots head coach to win his first-ever regular season game?
A. Pete Carroll
B. Bill Parcells
C. Bill Belichick
D. Dick MacPherson
9. True or false: Bill Belichick has a winning record when headcoaching against the Patriots.
10. His job with the Patriots is Bill Belichick's ____ head coaching position
11. Who is the longest-tenured current Patriots coach?
A. Bill Belichick
B. Pepper Johnson
C. Dante Scharneccia
D. Ivan Fears
12. How many Patriots head coaches are currently in the NFL Hall of Fame?