In preparing for this 53 man roster, the Pats Pulpit staff acted as position coaches for each positional group. The position coach was allowed to unanimously decide who his "keepers" were, who his "bubble" players were, and which guys hadn't shown enough to bother with. Keep in mind this was done before the third pre-season game, so in hindsight there may be a few do overs.
The minimum keepers were decided by looking back at the minimum number of players at that position on historical rosters. For instance, the Patriots have never carried less than 2 quarterbacks or 5 receivers going into a season.
For some positions, like the front seven, it made more sense to have one guy decide whether it was more of a 4-3 look or a 3-4 look. The decisions on the line affect the linebackers. For the secondary, the potential dual role of Devin McCourty affected the entire mix, so having one guy overseeing the lot made sense. Personally, I just wanted the wide receivers, but ended up with the backs out of need and the QB's because with Tebow in the mix, nobody wanted to deal with it. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so I grabbed that unit as well.
The Position Coaches
- Quarterbacks - SMP - Minimum: 2
- Offensive Line - Rich Hill - Minimum: 9
- Running Backs - SMP - Minimum: 4
- Tight Ends - Marima - Minimum: 3
- Wide Receivers - SMP - Minimum: 5
- Defensive Line - Greg Knopping - Minimum: 7 (this is when we used mainly 4-3 fronts)
- Linebackers - Greg Knopping - Minimum: 7 (this is when we used mainly 3-4 fronts)
- Safeties - Randy Booth - Minimum: 3
- Cornerbacks - Randy Booth - Minimum: 4
- Special Teams - Concensus - Kicker, Long Snapper, Punter