5. Tom Brady throws a slip screen to Danny Amendola for 19 yards on 3rd and 17 with 24 seconds remaining in the first half (+2.95 EPA). This crucial play helped the Patriots sandwich scores around halftime.
4. Rob Gronkowski recovers the onside kick with 1:26 remaining in the game (+2.98 EPA). Gronk didn't have to return this kick anywhere, but his recovery ended the game.
3. Tom Brady completes a 39 yard pass to Keshawn Martin to open up the second quarter (+3.05 EPA). The completion came on 2nd and 9 and showed how involved Martin has become in the offense.
2. Tom Brady throws a 25 yard touchdown pass to Rob Gronkowski in the third quarter (+3.29 EPA). It took some time for Gronkowski to be targeted, but he made the most of his opportunities.
1. LeGarrette Blount runs 38 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter (+4.22 EPA). This helped the Patriots take a 17-14 lead in the second quarter and softened up the Colts defense as they realized that New England was going to have some success running the ball.
For those interested, the Colts failed punt formation was the 15th most valuable play on the day, earning the Patriots +2.34 EPA.
5. Andrew Luck throws a 3 yard touchdown pass to T.Y. Hilton on 3rd and 3 at the end of the second quarter (-2.28 EPA). The Patriots had forced Luck to scramble and were unable to prevent the score.
4. Andrew Luck throws an 18 yard touchdown pass to Griff Whalen with 1:26 left in the game (-2.63 EPA). It was garbage time, but the Patriots can't let offenses walk down the field so easily.
3. Andrew Luck scrambles for 25 yards on 3rd and 10 late in the fourth quarter to the Patriots 28 yard line (-2.88 EPA). The Patriots were sloppy late in the game and forgot to contain one of the most mobile quarterbacks in the league.
2. Andrew Luck throws a 5 yard fade pass for a touchdown in the first quarter to Donte Moncrief over Malcolm Butler on 4th and 1 (-3.97 EPA). Butler needs to learn when he should go for the ball and when he should defend the arms of the receiver. Important to also highlight that the Colts two early touchdown scores came on 3rd and 4th down.
1. Tom Brady throws a pick-six off of Julian Edelman's hands in the second quarter on the Patriots own 10-yard line (-6.22 EPA). This was the worst play of the day.