As I'm sure you all know by now, the New England Patriots received their 2014 Super Bowl Championship Rings this past weekend at the home of Robert Kraft. And as always, it was quite the event. My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail, sadly, and so I was only able to catch the highlights via the video currently posted up on Patriots.com. If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor and check it out. It's four minutes very well spent.
A few of my personal favorite moments:
- Everyone rolling up in very expensive suits and beautiful evening gowns, and then here comes Gronk in a Tommy Bahama shirt and slacks. For literally every other member of the team - and perhaps every other player in the entire league - this would be incredibly awkward and a pretty big faux pas, but it's just so damn endearing when it's Gronk. That lovable oaf doesn't know any better, and he absolutely owned it.
- And of course the first thing out of Gronk's mouth was laugh out loud funny. The man came to party, and that's just the way it is.
- Jimmy G looking extremely dapper in his linen suit, very composed and respectful in his walk. It was the walk of a man who was proud to be on a team that just won a championship, but knows that he wants to earn a ring of his own when it's his time to lead. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself based on those six or so seconds when he was on camera.
- Absolutely killer material from Mr. Kraft. He opened with the "Super Bowl Champions...doesn't that have a nice ring to it" haymaker, and then finished with the 1st round pick to the Jets for Belichick uppercut to end it right then and there. Definitely had Tommy B in stitches.
- Of course, not to be outdone, Belichick reminded Kraft that he threw in a 7th rounder as well.
- And let's be honest here - that's a ring the same way that Arby's is a restaurant: technically correct, but come on; you aren't fooling anybody. Those things are massive.
- I guess they have to be, though, considering there are four Lombardi Trophies on them.
- What a great contrast between LeGarrette Blount giving a heartfelt, genuine confession of what his ring means to him and then Gronk coming on and just trying to get through whatever he had to say without yelling "BOOBS!" at the top of his lungs. Holy jeez do I love that guy.
- Malcolm Butler to (appropriately) close it out. He mentioned he looked at Brady's hands and couldn't believe his eyes; in case you missed it, this is what he was talking about.
- Luckily, Butler didn't get a good look at Bill Belichick. I don't know if he would have recovered.
If you want more, check out the Only in Boston Vine account here to watch the Pats party well into the night. Some absolutely savage dance moves from Tommy B, as well as some amazing overall captures. Looks like a great night all around.
And yes, in case you were wondering...Rob Gronkowski does enjoy champagne on occasion.