clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Boston Globe: Chandler Jones Had no Overdose but a Bad Reaction to a Non-Prescribed Substance [UPDATE]

New, comments

According to a source, the Patriots defensive end was not admitted to hospital because of an overdose.

Maddie Meyer/Getty Images

Yesterday, it was reported that New England Patriots defensive end Chandler Jones was hospitalized last Sundaybecause of an apparent emgerceny. However, there was not much more information as both the police and hospital personnel did – obviously – not offer any more details.

This, in turn, led to a lot of speculation about what happened with Jones, who is the Patriots sack leader this season and was voted to his first Pro Bowl. According to the Boston Globe's Chris Gasper, however, nothing overly dramatic happened as Jones simply had a bad reaction to a substance:

Patriots defensive lineman Chandler Jones had a bad reaction to a substance he put into his body, leading to his hospitalization early Sunday, a source familiar with the situation told the Globe on Wednesday.

The source was adamant that Jones did not overdose on a drug such as cocaine or heroin. The source said Jones lives near the Foxborough police station, and he walked there to seek help after he had the bad reaction.

The source added that Jones was at the Patriots facility lifting weights at 6:30 a.m. Monday.

However, via Gasper, we do not know what the substance was – only this (which will probably lead to further speculation):

I've had this confirmed on Chandler Jones. We're not talking about a drug that was prescribed by a pharmacist or team medical personnel.

Jones was admitted to Norwood Hospital on Sunday but was released the very same day. Despite spending parts of his Sunday in hospital, Jones did not miss any of the three pracitice sessions the Patriots have held so far this week.

According to the Globe's Ben Volin, the NFL will review the situation.

---

[UPDATE]: According to Gasper, we now know the substance which caused the bad reaction:

Source with knowledge of the situation confirms it was synthetic marijuana that caused Chandler Jones' bad reaction and hospitalization.