A major congratulations are in order for the Buffalo Bills for clinching their first playoff berth since the 1999 season. Their most recent playoff game was on January 8th, 2000 against the Tennessee Titans, which has been dubbed the Music City Miracle because of the incredible comeback that took place.
The Bills held a 16-15 lead with 16 seconds remaining in the game, but the Titans returned the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown and there was most definitely not a forward pass involved, no sir.
But that was the last time the Bills were in the playoffs. A lot has changed since then, especially for the New England Patriots. Let’s see what the Patriots have accomplished since the Bills last reached the postseason.
- The Patriots hired Bill Belichick on January 28th, 2000, just 20 days after the Bills most recent playoff game.
- The Patriots drafted Tom Brady on April 16th, 2000 with the 199th overall pick of the 2000 NFL Draft.
- In 2001-02, the Patriots won the Super Bowl over the St. Louis Rams.
- In 2003-04, the Patriots won the Super Bowl over the Carolina Panthers.
- In 2004-05, the Patriots won the Super Bowl over the Philadelphia Eagles.
- In 2005-06, the Patriots defeated the Jacksonville Jaguars in the wild card round of the playoffs, before losing in the divisional round.
- In 2006-07, the Patriots reached the AFC Championship Game against the Indianapolis Colts.
- In 2007-08, the Patriots recorded a 16-0 regular season and reached the Super Bowl against the New York Giants.
- In 2008, back-up quarterback Matt Cassel led the Patriots to an 11-5 record, a record last reached by the Bills in 1999.
- In 2009-10, the Patriots again reached the playoffs in Tom Brady’s first season back from injury.
- In 2010-11, the Patriots posted the best record in the NFL and earned a first round ybe.
- In 2011-12, the Patriots reached the Super Bowl against the New York Giants.
- In 2012-13, the Patriots reached the AFC Championship Game against the Baltimore Ravens.
- In 2013-14, the Patriots reached the AFC Championship Game against the Denver Broncos.
- In 2014-15, the Patriots won the Super Bowl over the Seattle Seahawks.
- In 2015-16, the Patriots reached the AFC Championship Game against the Denver Broncos.
- In 2016-17, the Patriots won the Super Bowl over the Atlanta Falcons.
In sum, the Patriots reached the playoffs in 14 of the 17 seasons between the Bills postseason appearances. New England played in 11 conference title games, reaching the Super Bowl seven times and winning five of them.
The Bills, uh, finished second in the AFC East twice over that span of time (2007, 2014). They’re on their 10th head coach.
Let’s just say these two teams have experienced the 2000s in very different fashions.
The Bills have a tough game against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Wild Card Weekend, but if they’re able to pull off the upset they’ll get to come to Gillette Stadium to play the Patriots- and that would simply be delightful.