Earlier this year, Tom Brady and the New England Patriots defeated the Kansas City Chiefs and the Chicago Bears in back-to-back weeks. Now, Brady has beaten the biggest stars on the two teams — Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes and Bears pass rusher Khalil Mack — once again: he has sold the most jerseys in the NFL over the course of the 2018 regular season, beating out the two young stars.
According to data recently released by NFLShop.com, the top ten jerseys sold during the season look as follows:
1. QB Tom Brady, New England Patriots
2. DE Khalil Mack, Chicago Bears
3. QB Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs
4. RB Ezekiel Elliott, Dallas Cowboys
5. RB Saquon Barkley, New York Giants
6. QB Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
7. QB Baker Mayfield, Cleveland Browns
8. QB Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles
9. QB Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys
10. WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pittsburgh Steelers
What stands out is how Brady and Saints quarterback Drew Brees are the only long-time veterans on the list: New England’s passer is in the league since 2000, while New Orleans’ entered the NFL one year later. While you would think nearly everybody has one one of their jerseys by now — especially when it comes to Brady who played for only one team in his career — people are still investing in them.
The other eight players listed are all relatively new to the league: the aforementioned Mack is the most experienced of the bunch with five years of NFL life under his belt. He switched teams this offseason when the Oakland Raiders traded him to the Bears, however, so seeing him listed high is no surprise. The same goes for the other players who are either emerging stars — Mahomes, Elliott, Prescott and Smith-Schuster — or rookies impressive rookies.
But above them all stands, as usual, the greatest quarterback of all time.